All About China > Chinese Culture And Festivals

What husband mean in Chinese character

<< < (6/6)

David5o:
mustfocus,

I think you'll find from what i remember that in Taiwan is predominantly Fujian Hua/Mandarin.
Not sure about Singapore at all, but in Malaysia and definitely in the Philippines (among the large Chinese society) the main dialect was Fujian Hua. ...Macao is Cantonese speaking, same as Hong Kong.... Sure your going to find other dialects including Mandarin in those countries, but there not going to be that common.....

David......

Oiler1:
Most Chinese spoke Taishanese (similiar to Cantonese) before 1975 in Canada. In Guangdong a lot of people prefer to speak Cantonese as the main language though most younger peole understand Mandarin. If your wife or girlfriend prefers to speak Cantonese maybe it is not a bad idea to learn Cantonese?

Cantonese and Mandarin have mostly the same words but different sounds and idioms. It's almost like 2 different countires languages.

I always get confused as to which dialect to learn but you can't go wrong if you just learn Mandarin. Due to my background, I prefer to look i the south and learn Cantonese.

mustfocus:

--- Quote from: 'David5o' pid='33834' dateline='1268241574' ---
mustfocus,

I think you'll find from what i remember that in Taiwan is predominantly Fujian Hua/Mandarin.
Not sure about Singapore at all, but in Malaysia and definitely in the Philippines (among the large Chinese society) the main dialect was Fujian Hua. ...Macao is Cantonese speaking, same as Hong Kong.... Sure your going to find other dialects including Mandarin in those countries, but there not going to be that common.....

David......

--- End quote ---

Singapore and Malaysia are mostly from Fujian.  But they do adopt words from other chinese dialects and malaya and some tamil words as well...  In Singapore, the push has been to speak mandarin, however, you need both because not all of the elderly speak mandarin...  Will be much different in another decade or so.

In the Philippines, they are also racially from Fujian province, but they mix it with tagalog.  I find their fujianhua a little hard to understand, but if I were to spend some time down there to pick up the accent, then I could probably adapt.

One of the funniest things I saw was a siek guy who walked into my aunt's office.  The guy spoke fluent fujianhua and was a riot to talk to.  That guy would have really confused a lot of people...

chen yan:
Aha,it is a shame,I come from Fujian,but I donn't speak Fujian Hua. mustfocus, I think you are talking about "Ming Nan Hua",Because not all Fujian people speak the same dialect. Only people in the south of Fujian ,Taiwan,some part of singapore,malaysia speak Ming Nan Hua.And it is so funning to watch the singapore movie which mix with Singlish,Mandarin and Ming Nan Hua.

mustfocus:
Hi Yan,

Yes, fujianhua is similar to minnanhua. :icon_biggrin: I call it fujianhua because there are also other dialects like chiuchowhua (I'm not sure how it's properly spelt) and another one that I know of but don't know the name which are similar.

Then there are also the sub-dialects as many of the smaller places speak their own version of minnanhua. :s very confusing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version