Author Topic: A new life  (Read 41100 times)

rockycoon

RE: A new life
« Reply #165 on: December 04, 2009, 10:02:42 pm »
I never heard a complaint about the way I tasted, except for the wicked witch that tryed to cook me when I was young,, she had a ginger bread house.....haha

Offline Nad

« Reply #166 on: December 04, 2009, 10:24:08 pm »
Hi Rob.
Well firstly I would like to congratulate you and your fiancée and wish you all the best for the future. She is really beautiful girl. I have read all twenty pages of your thread and followed your story closely, wow your are very resilient and lucky all rolled up in one. (And I thought it was just the luck for the Irish)he he. You are also very good at expressing yourself in your writing.

Now that you are home and being apart from her, this I find is a difficult period of the relationship, well that is how it has been for me. What I have done is keep in close contact with my fiancée with messaging and texting each other. We have been separated for over 2 months now, and we are moving into the planning stage of our marriage and visa application for her.
If I was to give you any advice it would be keep your chin up and try to get some work as you now have a new life and motivation.  It is a long and lonely process being in love with someone on the over side of the world, everything seems to move slowly.
Please keep us posted on any developments and all the best.
From Gen and Alan.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 10:25:15 pm by Nad »

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #167 on: December 04, 2009, 10:28:37 pm »
Glad to hear the news Rob my son.

Every day that passes is going to get you nearer to Anne.  Do not kid yourself that just a fag here and there is OK.  

Every cigarette you do not take shows just how much to want to get back to China.  

Every fag you stick in your gob is a slap in the face for Anne who is looking to you to fulfil your promise to her.

You and I know how much cigarettes cost in the UK (close to 90 USD for a carton of 200) and for you to go back to smoking may well cost more than just your health.    

Give him encouargement gents.  

I know Anne will not object to his smokers breath - well his mouth is at upper chest level - lucky sod!!!!!

Here endeth todays lesson.

Baba Willy

PS sent another card details by PM
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Vince G

« Reply #168 on: December 04, 2009, 10:37:42 pm »
You can do it Rob. I'm doing it too. Had 1 cigarette in 2 days.

rockycoon

« Reply #169 on: December 04, 2009, 11:25:17 pm »
All this talk of smoking makes me want to light up another one, cough-hack-wheeze, cough cough, gotta quit-gag. If your really interested, and it's really hard to do, try the patch and believe me it works, but will cost a few bucks but it's worth it.  When I  was in the hospital, nothing but patchs and they worked! Till someone (after i got out) lit one up next to me and ruined it all.  But, since then, I have cut down a lot to just a few a day, so hang in there.:idea:

Offline RegnisTheGreat

• www.secretasianman.ca
    • http://www.secretasianman.ca
« Reply #170 on: December 05, 2009, 01:52:46 am »
Think, $10 a pack and a pack a day = $3650 a year. That's a lot of Anne time :)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 01:53:29 am by RegnisTheGreat »

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #171 on: December 05, 2009, 05:08:44 am »
Hardest thing i ever did but the most rewarding. Stopped getting chest colds every winter and I learned how to drive . Had to do something to keep my mind occupied so took many driving lessons and drove just about everywhere on my days off work! It worked, I passed my driving test :)
Fast forward to now and don't ever get urges any more and my wallet thanks me.
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

shaun

« Reply #172 on: December 05, 2009, 08:30:42 am »
Rob,

You can do it.  If I could then you can.  I was the worst until the final time.  Many years ago my mother used to hound me about smoking.  Finally I quit.  She was happy at first, two weeks in she begged me to go back to smoking.  I guess my attitude and temper were really bad so I went back.  The final time was much better. I had a reason of my own.  You own reason is always better than anyone else's.

Getting back to my honey would be enough for me.  Besides quitting and saving the money for back to China will get you many bonus points with Anne.  Bonus point with your woman always count and tell her they count double on Wednesdays.

Rob, I tried to go hour by hour sometimes. i.e. I think I can make it one more hour.  There were times I had to go minute by minute.  Those minutes add up to hours which ad up to days, weeks, and years.

I tried the gum and the patch, I even tried hypnotism.  Didn't work.  To me your mindset is the only thing that will work.  This is mind over matter.  Rob your mind got you to China even after the terrible situation.  If you can beat that then you can beat cigarettes.

Vince, I hope you are reading this too.  The both of you can do it.  You will have no regrets on this.

Shaun

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #173 on: December 05, 2009, 08:30:49 am »
Hi guys thanks for the encouragement...

Still not had one, been chewing a lot of gum especially first thing in the morning.  And it has also helped that I have been really busy looking for work, and trying to wheel and deal to get me back there.

I won't say at the moment because I don't want to, put the chicken before the egg, but I done something yesaterday (NO... not rob a bank lol) that JUST may (GOD WILLING) get me back to her quicker than expected...

I spoke to her also about my quitting the ciggies and SHE was WELL pleased.  Firstly for my health, and secondly as Willy pointed out, smokers breath.  She tells me that when I get there 'SHE' will get me RIGHT back to fitness....NOW now guy's I think she means by walking:icon_cheesygrin:.  Annes mother again spoke to me a little yesterday, " Baoshong hao Rob", then as usual she went into Chinese mode, which cracks me up listening to it.  I have mentioned to Anne the plans that I have in place for going back.  She told me as i was talking that she is rubbing the ring I got her, and she often does this.  The funny thing is, every day and night I find myself rubbing the jade Buddha that she bought me, and it makes me feel close to her..

Has this also happened to others on here?  In that, since I came back I am getting up really early in the morning UK time, and only getting a few hours sleep???  This morning I had my chinese lesson for two hours and it seemed that, once hearing the sounds (Tones) while after being there, it came a little easier to learn.  I'm not saying Chinese is easy, but it's slightly easier because I was there, has anyone else found this?

Vince KEEP up the good work man...I know it's hard but we CAN do it...All the best buddy
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 08:34:04 am by Scottish_Rob »

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #174 on: December 05, 2009, 09:08:49 am »
Hi Rob,

I'm not sure how much smokes cost in London, how much you smoke(d) and this idea does seem really TVish, but have you tried a smoker's jar?  Find a large jar (like one of those pickling jars they have in pubs to hold pickled eggs) and set it somewhere you hang around in.  Every time you normally would light up, you put the price of a cigarette into the jar (or the price of a pack if it's a pack a day).  If you do this religiously, you will get it full in no-time.

The concept is that you have a goal.  When you can see how close you are to filling the jar (which should have enough money to pay for a ticket and hotel in China if it's big enough), then it's easier to motivate yourself to your goal.

Like I said.  The idea is a bit campy (I've only seen it on TV...never seen anyone REALLY do this, but it might help motivate you...just remember to label the jar so you remember what the jar is for... :)
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Arnold

« Reply #175 on: December 05, 2009, 12:53:12 pm »
Great going Rob ... buddy . It's easy for us to say stop smoking , but you doing it out of Love for Anne is also making it easy for you . I would have a good size Photo of your Sweetheart in every Room of the House and whenever I would has the urge to light up .. I'd see her and that is all I would need to put it down .. but throw it OUT .
Hope to see you back in her Arms again soon . Most of us here know what it's like being apart / away from the one you Love , so we must practise patience and make best use of the time / communication you do have together .

rockycoon

« Reply #176 on: December 05, 2009, 12:53:22 pm »
Hey Rob, what she means by getting you back in shape is lots of exersize, and Chinese food...healthy food.  Looks like your going to be on the lettuce diet for a while (rabbit food).  I don't know how much they smoke over there at the time, or even how much a pack of ciggies is, and they are proabley chinese tobbaco. Willy probably knows the price, even though he don't smoke.  

I went to a no-smoke clinic, and even though this sounds strange, it was suggested that you could chew tobbaco (like coppenhagan) and it would give you that nicotine intake you crave.  This of course is the theory, before the advent of chewing gum, patches, etc. which are also loaded with nicotine.  I will try the patch for a while and see if that works for me.  Only bad thing about patchs, is that if you lite one up, while wearing the patch, you stand a good chance of having a heart attack.  With this threat hanging over my head, I of course don't lite a ciggerett up, perhaps its the threat that makes me think.  But the patch does take away the urge, I can tell you truthfully that it does.  

Perhaps, I didn't use them long enough in the hospital.  Another thing is what are you going to do with all the spare time.  You see we lite up to kill time or to kill the boredom of waiting or because there is nothing to do.  Keep busy is what they told me, and it will keep your thoughts centered on what you are doing, and not the sigs, then follow up with the patch and you can get through it.  At least that is what they told me at the clinic I went to.  Oh and I almost forgot, they said to go away from anyone or anyplace that has a lit ciggerett or a smoky room because it causes the thought to come back.  Best of luck quiting, I hope this helps you my friend, and may you see your Anne soon.

brett

« Reply #177 on: December 05, 2009, 01:08:16 pm »
Everybody in China seems to smoke. Even Miss Wu has a cheeky ciggie sometimes. Her old man told me the best brand to buy to take home with me. We'll smoke them at Christmas. I think they were about £2 a packet, but I gather Hubei Province is known for its exceptionally fine tobacco. They certainly seemed expensive to me.

The wierd thing is that the Chinese seem to be OK with having the occasional ciggie. Perhaps they know the secret of cultivating non-addictive tobacco. Or maybe the cost of ciggies means they are a luxury like cigars are over here :icon_cheesygrin:.

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #178 on: December 08, 2009, 07:11:07 am »
Single pack of 20...(8 Mgs they were called) 6 Rmb...Carton of 200... 58 Rmb

Still being lucky enough to stay off them so far...

Not heard from Anne in a couple of days, she IS busy with the shop...Although I have heard from her in texts:icon_cheesygrin::angel:

NOW for HOPEFULLY the GOOD NEWS...
Remember I mentioned about not going back until March...WELLLLLLLLL.....Because of the plans I put in place as soon as I got back, it seems like they just may bear 'FRUITION':icon_biggrin:...NOW my plan is getting back a whole 4 weeks earlier than originally mentioned...

I can't wait:huh:

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #179 on: December 08, 2009, 07:23:07 am »
Quote from: 'Scottish_Rob' pid='24956' dateline='1260274267'

Single pack of 20...(8 Mgs they were called) 6 Rmb...Carton of 200... 58 Rmb

Still being lucky enough to stay off them so far...

Not heard from Anne in a couple of days, she IS busy with the shop...Although I have heard from her in texts:icon_cheesygrin::angel:

NOW for HOPEFULLY the GOOD NEWS...
Remember I mentioned about not going back until March...WELLLLLLLLL.....Because of the plans I put in place as soon as I got back, it seems like they just may bear 'FRUITION':icon_biggrin:...NOW my plan is getting back a whole 4 weeks earlier than originally mentioned...

I can't wait:huh:

You have got to be more precise Rob.  You know the whole of China is on stand by for you to return in March.  There may be Chinese Government questions as to whether they are able to deal with your presence earlier than planned.  

The women need some time to complete their ARC lessons.  that is Anti Rob Chatup lessons.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,