Author Topic: A new life  (Read 41108 times)

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
RE: A new life
« Reply #90 on: November 21, 2009, 09:43:33 pm »
Phew........!!!!!!

That buggered up my blood pressure .......again !!!

Imagine what would have happened if you wanted to buy a TV :):):)

David

Offline zook144

« Reply #91 on: November 21, 2009, 10:38:27 pm »
Rob, you lucky Scotsman!!! What more is there to say:icon_biggrin:

Don
The Journey Is The Destination

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #92 on: November 22, 2009, 02:31:50 am »
Thanks guys...Mike that reminds me..NO I bloody never got my coffee:huh:

I know this might come over like, YEAH RIGHT !!!  But I swear on all that is holy, it is the truth.

Today I was to meet sweetness (Anne) again beside the BOC.  Well as I was really early, I went in for a burger.  I ordered and went upstairs and sat down.  At the next table there was a man with his 12 year old daughter (I found this out later), so I said Ni Hao, as you do...

Well he turned to me after a few minutes and asked if I was Engrish???  I try not to explain about the subtle differences so I said "Yes"..He told me his daughter was learning Engrish, politely I explained that I was trying to get a job teaching it.  He sat for a few moments then made a phone call.  A few minutes later his phone rang and he answered it, preceding to write something down.

Once he finished doing whatever it was he was doing, he got up from his table and came to mine, asking if he could sit down:dodgy:  He introduced himself and his daughter, English names Steven and Eva.  And told me that he had PHONED Eva's teacher to see if the school needed any teachers.  They DID so he organised an interview with her and me at 4 O'Clock tomorrow.  He then gave me HER number and name, and his number and name:dodgy:

After sitting al together for 10 minutes he told me he would take me to the school just now, so I can meet her today before my interview tomorrow.  Now I'm not one for refusing help when it is offered.  So I said "that would be fine, BUT isn't Schools closed on a SUNDAY???".  He explained that this was not so, classes are held on a Sunday also !!!  When I thought about the contracts that I had been sent, I remembered this was the case.:icon_biggrin:  So we got up and left, just 25 yards from the BOC there is a large Glass building, we got outside it and he pointed up and said "Up There".  Before we entered he asked what I did in England for work.  I told him a market stall holder, "Ok, you tell the teacher you teach in England"...

Ok I thought I'll play it his way.  We went in the building and there were a few girls and guys about waiting on the lifts  We got in the lift and took it upstairs.  To be honest, I don't know what I was expecting.  Once we got to the floor, we walked into this large room.  It was a School.  We went to the desk, but the teacher he had phoned was not there at the moment, so the receptionist called her.  Then she passed the phone to him.  He spoke to her for about 4 minutes then HANDED me the phone...  I said "hello?' and this lady spoke to me saying that she 'could not' be in School today, but could I meet her tomorrow at 4pm where I am just now.  I agreed and thanked her :-))

On speaking to Steven, he said he would be there with his daughter at this time also, to see how I get on...

NOW...I don't know about any of the brothers or my countrymen would have done that for a total stranger...  

I mentioned it in an earlier post BUT these people are AMAZING...  

I am not going to fill my hopes up, but at least it's a start  I don't want to tempt fate:blush:  Now that I'm in the hotel waiting on Anne getting out the shower, I thought I would just update you a little bit more.  I also feel a little guilty that I had these dodgy feeling towrds this guy:blush:

Right guys I gotta go...:heart::heart: has just come in the room wrapped in a towel:icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 02:37:09 am by Scottish_Rob »

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #93 on: November 22, 2009, 03:19:31 am »
Quote from: 'Scottish_Rob' pid='23692' dateline='1258875110'

:

Right guys I gotta go...:heart::heart: has just come in the room wrapped in a towel:icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:

Expensive hotel then Rob? - if you get that sort of room service!!!!

I will say this again - the Chinese are the most generous people I have ever met.  

Did you get your dumplings today - or are you about to or is that another story!!!

Willy
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 03:48:00 am by Willy The Londoner »
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline markymark

« Reply #94 on: November 22, 2009, 03:35:32 am »
Hi Rob,
            As an aside maybe we should call you Roving Romeo Rob, gosh if you and Wily Willy the londoner got into the same town phew! I don't know what would happen LOL. :icon_cheesygrin:

Back to business Don't worry too much about Steven I think he saw an opportunity ( supply and demand ) and some common good to be had for all concerned ie you need a job and the school needs a teacher. Maybe you did some voluntary work with kids in England on a part time basis such as literacy skills etc or maybe some kind of instruction in some kind of activity you are familiar with. It doesn't have to be something fantastic but maybe stretch it a little as Steven did about saying you taught in England. I have had a similar experience when I took a friend to look at a TEFL course ( in Thailand ) and I was offered a job by the owner when I wasn't even looking for one. It does happen mate and part of the rolling WOW factor. One piece of advice is to speak just a little slower than usual and speak clearly because we roll our syllable sounds over into the next word sometimes. They really won't be  able to understand a native speaker going at native speed in a conversation, that is what I found in my experience, it all boils down to listening ability which does take time to develop. You would not believe how many jobs I have turned down through casual encounters and talking of casual encounters look what happened through going to buy a translator! Hee hee, just go with it and see what happens afterall nothing ventured nothing gained you never know what is round the corner. They usually like you to give a demo class so maybe check the teacher websites for some simple lesson plans / ideas etc. Above all keep it simple because you need the students to produce an example of the lesson's target. Yes you are right to be cautious ( dodgy feeling ) because that is how we would be back home for obvious reasons but here you are dealing with a different culture and a different mind set, it is something that takes a little getting used to that's all and I don't think there is any negative intention whatsoever, the man is just being helpful, just remember keep your eyes and mind open and everything should be okay.
Good luck ( Best of British? )
Mark

Now go back to the towel part and don't forget the coffee this time :icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:
"You'll like this, not a lot" Paul Daniels

Offline Brian Mc

• Zhen Li
« Reply #95 on: November 22, 2009, 07:01:00 am »
Greetings Brothers,

Well Rob you had best slow down or you are gonna have everyone new to this thinking all they have to do is show up in China and ladies and jobs fall into their laps.  Of course we all know better and as you can see we are all very happy for you.

Just remember that for Anne she has now comitted to you so if you think its not right be gentle when you tell her  If you both think it is right then congratulations to both of you and lets hope you are as happy as Zhen and I.

However I must mention one very serious issue here too.....

WHERE ARE THE PICTURES!!!  you know we dont believe a thing until we see the pictures.

Congrats again and good luck with the job.

Zhen and Brian

shaun

« Reply #96 on: November 22, 2009, 07:08:38 am »
Wow Rob,

Tough decisions.  Woman...   Coffee...   Woman...   Coffee?   Are you sure you made the right decision? :icon_cheesygrin:

It looks like kind of man who is able land on his feet in any given situation.  Good job.

Shaun

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #97 on: November 22, 2009, 07:33:08 am »
Guys
I will post the pictures, as you have saw with the other ones I did post they were crap.  Out of focus..... too big.... Too small.....  As soon as I get the hang of my new camera I will buy this week I promise there will be pictures and plenty of them...Please be patient:s

Thanks for the kind words...And thanks for the idea about the present for the son mate...

Mark...
From 29 - 34 I worked in youth clubs, first as a volunteer, then youth worker (unpaid), then paid youth worker.  Going on to become leader in charge to opening Youth clubs throughout Scotland.  At the same time I done the same with Playschemes, going the same route...

Have I taught...YES I Have to an extent, I have done many workshops. on things as diverse as painting, to opening up Clubs, to Accounting for them, to teaching them reading etc etc.  So in a sense YES I have taught but not really in a classrom babsis, except for the accounting and book keeping.  On saying that I have never had, nor got, a TEACHING CERTIFICATE.  If anything FAILS me... it will be my 'Speech'..., because as you know we have a helluva rate of knots when we start lol :icon_biggrin:  But I have been talking to the london git (haha) and he said the same to me about it, so for the last couple of calls I HAVE slowed it down considerably, so all I can do is hope for the best...  But thanks for your words of encouragement and valuable information

Quote from: 'shaun' pid='23705' dateline='1258891718'

Wow Rob,

Tough decisions.  Woman...   Coffee...   Woman...   Coffee?   Are you sure you made the right decision? :icon_cheesygrin:

It looks like kind of man who is able land on his feet in any given situation.  Good job.

Shaun

Not sure mate...Right woman get the coffee poured out hehehe

Quote from: 'David E' pid='23664' dateline='1258857813'

Phew........!!!!!!

That buggered up my blood pressure .......again !!!

Imagine what would have happened if you wanted to buy a TV :):):)

David

David
Haha I wouldn't read this coming Tuesday mornings update...Unless you want a heart attack  hahaha
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Right  here come another installment although not much about myself and my GOOD lady...:icon_cheesygrin:

After I went offline once the post was done (Towel Post) while she ws drying herself, which guys I must admit I did offer to help :blush: BUT (haha) she thought I better NOT (Not sure why??? Haha).  I made me some coffee and some juice for her, then we sort of had another little talk :huh:.  just about life in general.  And how she will not be able to see me until 7ish tomorrow night (Havent a clue what I'm gonna do with myself til 4pm, maybe catch up on some sleep).  Well she does have her son to get ready for school and then work, I would be totally selfish If I asked her not to go to work... So I really have no choice in the matter.

She mentioned that her Mother had noticed this morning 'How' she seems 'Happier' these days for some strange reason :exclamation:  There is NO WAY I expect her to tell her Mother about us yet, as I know we are in the VERY early stages in this relationship.  Anyway, she had to go home tonight to bath/shower her son for school and make sure he sleeps, as her mum cannot take him tonight:huh:  So she left and I put her on a taxi about about 5.15.  Bloody hell that will be 22 hours without seeing her :huh:

Once this was done I walked over to a restaurant and got a meal as I was rather peckish after all the days exhertion (so to speak).  Everything was in madarin, but on the menu was about 6 pictures.  So I picked one of them.  It cost me 47rmb for Laoshan Tea, Pepsi, rice, vegetables, and Sichuan Hotpot.  Well I think it was this?, the table had a sort of inbuilt cooker on it and you put into the dish all the ingrediants including 2 massive plates of thinly cut meat.  IT WAS GORGEOUS BUT, very very hot.  My lips burned for ages, even more than with all the kissing that's been going on.

As I was on my own I decided to go to the 'Night Market' rather than sit in the hotel.  This is an outdoor market within the compound of the streets, and many of the shops are passageways into 'Indoor markets'.  It was really busy.  There are two or more reasons I think I got the WOW factor tonight.  One was this place and road that it was on, with all the lights from the shops and advertisment (flashing billboards).  It took me about 2 hours to walk around this place and I never even entered the Indoor markets.

The second reason about the WOW factor was when I was coming back to the hotel, I 'Heard' Chinese Singing, you know the ones you hear in the films.  Well I thought I would go and have a listen because it was coming from across the road and I thought it was some sort of person playing records.  Well, to my ASTONISHMENT, there were about 3 dozen or more people (mixed including mixed ages) all grouped  together singing away happily...and it was bloody cold.  The band leader was in front conducting this.  The thing about it was, everyone sounded really happy, I have not saw one disgruntled person (except Anne last night) since I've been here...  To the left of this group were about (and I kid you NOT) another group of about 2 dozen men and woman all dancing, like line daners, man it was fantastic to watch.

This is where the WOW factor comes in, There is NO way you would ever see anything like that happen in Scotland, nor I believe the UK.  Not sure about other Countries, BUT I have NEVER seen this in my life before.  There are 2 other little insignificant points I would like to make.The first one is the smells.  Never having been ouitside the Uk I don't know about this, but I'm assuming it is relative to each Eastern Country, those that use lots of spices etc.  The second point I want to make is (and if I wasn't with Anne I definetly would hehe) I noticed all through my travels TONIGHT, that the Asian ladies are BEAUTIFUL well in my eyes at least 75/85% of them.  Almost each and everyone of them seem to have bodies to die for!!!  Tonight as I walked I saw almost every female smile and BOY what smiles they have :heart:

Anyway that's my update complete for tonight.  The one last thing I want to say is, BOY I wish I done this years ago, this will be my biggest regret EVER :huh:
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 08:31:40 am by Scottish_Rob »

shaun

« Reply #98 on: November 22, 2009, 08:20:17 am »
Quote from: 'Brian Mc' pid='23704' dateline='1258891260'

Greetings Brothers,

Well Rob you had best slow down or you are gonna have everyone new to this thinking all they have to do is show up in China and ladies and jobs fall into their laps.  Of course we all know better and as you can see we are all very happy for you.

Just remember that for Anne she has now comitted to you so if you think its not right be gentle when you tell her  If you both think it is right then congratulations to both of you and lets hope you are as happy as Zhen and I.

However I must mention one very serious issue here too.....

WHERE ARE THE PICTURES!!!  you know we dont believe a thing until we see the pictures.

Congrats again and good luck with the job.

Zhen and Brian

Brian,

Now you tell me. :@  I just finished packing my bags after the post Rob gave about his choice.  Coffee...  Woman.... :dodgy:

Guess I had better re-thinks this. :icon_cheesygrin:

Good post Brian.  I am afraid we men sometimes think with the wrong head. :s:icon_cool:

Rob Keep posting.  And I have heard you say this before. "We want pictures." :exclamation:  Not that we are demanding or anything like that.

Hope all continues to go well.

Shaun

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #99 on: November 22, 2009, 10:50:17 am »
Great post Rob and yes the wow factor at parks. They love to do group social events, singing, dancing, or  playing instruments. You just have to show up and can start learning something for free. The only thing I see here in Canada is maybe people playing pick up sports ie football, volleyball, but never the more cultural activites.

We know they practice Martial Arts but in the parks with the singing and dancing they also practice Marital Arts. And now Rob you get to practice first hand with your new girl.

Now go kick...ahem kiss some Butt :heart: :icon_cheesygrin:
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #100 on: November 22, 2009, 11:12:37 am »
Wow Rob.  Just wow.  I am totally amazed and impressed.  It sure seems like someone is looking down on you and your little part of the world.  Well, I think the whole country is charmed.  Just imagine what you would be doing right now if you hadn't made the trip.  

I'm really enjoying reading your posts.  Keep up the awesome adventure.
...as irresistible as chocolate

ttwjr32

« Reply #101 on: November 22, 2009, 06:17:55 pm »
Rob,
very good turn of events for you. i am happy to see that it is
working out well for you. having recently relocated to China(guangzhou)
i see that all the time in the parks and it is really wonderful and it always
makes me stop to watch and listen. im not as lucky as you are the woman
dont come up to me on the street but i guess with Sisi on my arm that
probably stops them from doing so  hahaha and yes the women are very
beautiful and sexy. i recomend more people coming here to live and do what
we have done.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #102 on: November 22, 2009, 08:39:33 pm »
Quote from: 'Scottish_Rob' pid='23709' dateline='1258893188'

.  If anything FAILS me... it will be my 'Speech'..., because as you know we have a helluva rate of knots when we start lol :icon_biggrin:  But I have been talking to the london git (haha) and he said the same to me about it, so for the last couple of calls I HAVE slowed it down considerably, so all I can do is hope for the best...  But thanks for your words of encouragement and valuable information

Quote from: 'shaun' pid='23705' dateline='1258891718'

I am sure glad that there are a lot from London on this forum otherwise I may think it was me he was calling a git!!! LOL - probably a lot on this site outside the UK will not know what that means.  (Maybe you should ask the skirt cladded heathen from across the border his interpretation !!!!LOL )

One thing to remember - colloquiel words (and I spelt that wrong) should be avoided in China as they are unlikely to know what they mean and trying to explain could get you into trouble.   Big words as well should be confined to this forum.  

If you find someone who speaks English then keep the conversation simple unless you are sure that they swallowed the same dictionary as you!!

Speak to you after the interview.

Willy
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 08:45:38 pm by Willy The Londoner »
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #103 on: November 23, 2009, 01:21:29 am »
Good luck for today Rob , and may your night be lucky to , regards Ying and Robert .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #104 on: November 23, 2009, 01:41:52 am »
A little taster...
This morning I went for breakfast and then decided to go to the local park 'Hai Bo Park' it's called.  Well it only took me 10 minutes to walk.  Well I was doing nothing anyway...  I finally finds it and enters it.

As I start along this pathway, I can hear music...So off I trot to see what (if anythin) is going on.  Well there were couples ballroom dancing (I think it was ball room).  Further along, there were guy's playing cards. Still further along, some peole playing Badminton..  of course everyone I walked by had a quick stare at me (laughing) so it was always Ni Hao with a wave from me.:icon_biggrin:

As I got into the middle of the park, I took a picture of some old fella playing a stringed instrument...Just for Rhonald hehe.  On starting to leave, one of the men came up to me and talked a lot in Chinese.  What he was asking was, for me to take a picture of HIM lighting up HIS PIPE.  Of course I done this.  As I stood there loads of people came over, so I got my translator out and started typing for them.  They nodded and smiled and laughed etc.

I left there and went fruther into the place. Many people saying "Ni Hao" to me and I returning it.  This old couple as I walked by, smiled and the gentleman gestured for me to go and sit with them.  So I did and again out come the translator.  It again drew another crowd.  They laughed when I mentioned 'Wo ai' (Short) about me then pointed to them saying "Ni Vao" you tall.  I was there for about an hour sitting and laughing with them  Now most of what they were saying I did not get, but there were some words I recognised so If they laughed, so did I.

The thing I noticed as Rhonald mentioned is they play all sorts of recreational games there, from dancing to singing to card playing to kite flying.  This I find amazing:icon_biggrin:  I left there to go and get some food.  So I was going along the road when I noticed a 'Language School'.  Now I can hear you say, How did you know this if you don't speak Chinese?.  Easy, it said Rainbow Language School above the door hahaha.  so I think why not try it.  So in I go and speak to the receptionist, she says "hold please".

This lady come down and introduces herself to me, she is the Director of the School.  so we go upstairs as she asks me to follow her.  And she takes my details, (which I had on me, for this appointment today).  Long story short...I have a demo class on Saturday, she was 'impressed' (and undersdtood my language).  She did say it would be part time, but if good MAY move to full time.  She also mentioned that she liked me, because (her words) you are humour.  Obviously my personality shone through  :icon_cheesygrin:  So I am now going to get ready for my demo at 4pm today.

So this will make up since being here 3 demo classes, also (1 that was in the same place) that after getting there I did not go into.  And another one tomorrow in another town.  So 5 in 2 weeks.  That is MORE interviews in two weeks than you would likely get in 3 or 4 months in the UK.

Paul Todd, you were right when you mentioned to me about feeling like a film star...What an amazing people !!!

Update

Just back from interview...I have another demo class on Thursday.  However, they can only offer me 2 hours a week at the moment...90 rmb an hour...!!!  No work Visa included.

You will only get a work visa supplied if you get a full time job

What this means in my circumstance at the moment is, that if the interview I'm going to tomorrow in Rizhao offers me 'Full Time' I need to take it...
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 04:11:17 am by Scottish_Rob »