Author Topic: Current Airline Fares  (Read 10310 times)

Offline mustfocus

RE: Current Airline Fares
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2010, 09:27:15 pm »
Go over the west coast....if you have to transit through Europe, you could encouter issues... I hear of fewer issues when you go over the Pacific...
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Offline Voiceroveip

• Frank for you
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2010, 04:49:38 am »
Quote from: 'mustfocus' pid='29006' dateline='1264127235'

Go over the west coast....if you have to transit through Europe, you could encouter issues... I hear of fewer issues when you go over the Pacific...

What kind of issues?
Go deep or don't go

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2010, 08:28:22 pm »
Most of my relatives who have transited through the UK or Germany have had luggage lost (half the time) or encountered the worst attitude while transiting through their airports.

That and everything seems to be more expensive for the equivalent thing going the other way.
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

David5o

« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2010, 08:45:11 pm »
mustfocus,  

I could probably give you half a dozen names of friends and relatives that have had luggage go missing at American airports, It's just a fact of life, these things happen everywhere!!

Now, are you trying to say here, that there is NO attitude at American Airports??
Now that's a real cracker..lol!!

The last of your comments is probably correct, after all, it is going the long way round to get to China for most Americans....

David....

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2010, 09:28:55 pm »
I didn't say that the american airports are better (or canadian ones either... Pearson is run by eco-idiots...oh wait...I shouldn't say that... too late).  But none of my relatives (or myself) have lost any luggage in the last 15 years that I have gone over the pacific...  As for attitude... American custom agents living outside of the US are the worse (hey, we're neighbours and I'm sorry if I'm taking away from your web surfing time at the customs desk, but I'd like to proceed to security and then into the airport so I can catch my flight and spend money in the US)...Always grumpy.  But I have heard so many stories about UK and german customs that it's not funny.

Then again, I also have a friend who found (I think it was) german highway signs amuzing (something about farts?)...

One of my cousins who comes here often (once every year or two) has given a pass on Europe and has decided to go through the Singapore/Newark route (using the A340).  Great if you can handle an 18 or 19 hour direct flight... :icon_cheesygrin:
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2010, 09:56:16 pm »
I don't have much experience in European or American airports.  But the folks at Narita in Japan are really friendly and nice.  Canadian customs suck, since we are bashing customs agents.

On my last trip, I had my 7 year old daughter with me.  I had a letter from my ex wife stating that she knew about this trip, and gave her permission for me to take our daughter out of the country (I have joint custody...she would need my permission to do the same thing).  I also arrived at the airport equipped with the judge's order that said I have joint custody.  Leaving Canada, nobody asked me if I was allowed to take Allison out of the country.

2 weeks later, we arrived at Pearson in Toronto, and were going through customs, and the agent asked me if I had a letter.  For what I asked?  For traveling with my daughter.  Apparently I can take her out of the country, but returning to our country is another issue.  I should have told them that I kidnapped her, but after two weeks, she was driving me nuts, so i was smuggling her back into Canada.

David5o

« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2010, 04:58:32 pm »
Martin,

I may be a little niaeve in these matters as i've never been through a divorce. But why would anyone ask for such a letter, i mean how would anyone know your divorced in the first place??

I've brought my Niece and Nephew over from the UK to Cyprus many times (same family last names), and the parents will come maybe a week or so later, and will go back to UK maybe a couple of weeks on, together.
I have never been asked for a letter or anything else, when they have traveled with me. Even taken them to Disneyland Paris on the Ferry crossing.

Just curious really, why anyone would ask to see a letter when you all have the same family name.... I know there have been kidnapping of children by fathers, but they are mostly foreign husbands, I take it that this has something to do with this letter thing...

David
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 04:59:10 pm by David5o »

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2010, 06:40:05 pm »
Quote from: 'David5o' pid='29101' dateline='1264283912'

Martin,

I may be a little niaeve in these matters as i've never been through a divorce. But why would anyone ask for such a letter, i mean how would anyone know your divorced in the first place??

I've brought my Niece and Nephew over from the UK to Cyprus many times (same family last names), and the parents will come maybe a week or so later, and will go back to UK maybe a couple of weeks on, together.
I have never been asked for a letter or anything else, when they have traveled with me. Even taken them to Disneyland Paris on the Ferry crossing.

Just curious really, why anyone would ask to see a letter when you all have the same family name.... I know there have been kidnapping of children by fathers, but they are mostly foreign husbands, I take it that this has something to do with this letter thing...

David

In Canada, when you have joint custody of a child, and you want to leave the country, you are required to have a letter from the other parent that says that you have permission to do this, as well as the court paper that shows you have joint custody.  You are correct in assuming the letter has something to do with kidnapping.

In my separation agreement, there is also a clause in there that says either parent can not stop the other parent from taking the child out of the country for a vacation, without a good cause.  Fortunately, my daughters mother is a good person, and does not give me a hard time, like some separated parents do.

I had fully expected to produce this letter and document before being allowed to leave Canada.  Even though my daughter and I share the same last name, this letter is all about making sure everyone is honest, and has good intentions.

Martin

Offline Voiceroveip

• Frank for you
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2010, 05:18:54 am »
The laws are the same for France (maybe all of the EU?), but nobody ever checks the letters which I don't bother about anymore ... my son will be VIP frequent flyer soon and has never had to show more than the unaccompanied minor release form the airline makes me fill out.

Frank
Go deep or don't go

Offline JimB

• http://www.jandyenterprises.com
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2010, 04:43:46 pm »
Next week I am leaving for my fourth trip to China.  this time I go thru Narita. Anything I should know about?  Ive always gone thru Seoul before.  I have never even been given a second glance by any security people in Korea or China.  Flying northwest airlines this time.  At least I get my air miles.
Maxx's 24 hour rule, learn it, live it.

shaun

« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2010, 06:09:21 pm »
Somebody help me!!!!

I have just spent an afternoon of frustration.  I registered with travelocity for a low fare alert.  About 30 minutes after it was put out I was trying to buy a ticket for $573.00.  All of the seats and dates I needed were gone and I am back to over $1000.00 again.

Will there be any more fares for end of March through 2nd weekend in April or should I buy one at $1000.00?  There were before today, $1141.00.  I want to wait but at the same time I don't want to pay $3000.00 either.

Shaun
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 06:45:39 pm by shaun »

Offline Philip

« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2010, 06:27:58 pm »
Fares go up and down. Seats get released regularly at lower prices. Airlines play the game of withholding the cheap fares and hoping they can get people to pay the expensive ones. But they know they need to fill the planes so they release cheap seats at really strange intervals.
In my case, I could only go from the 2nd April. After spending most of January looking for prices of less than £500, suddenly one appeared for £450. If I had been able to go at the end of March, it would have been cheaper. Beginning of April is UK Easter holiday time, so the prices are higher. But I got my fare from London to Guangzhou.
I would not rely on the fare alerts. I would look at the flight price comparison websites every day. Pick the price you're comfortable with (as long as it's reasonable) and be ready to pounce. For me £500 was my limit. I didn't accept prices even a few pounds over.
Don't worry. You've still got plenty of time.

Offline maxx

« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2010, 06:35:28 pm »
Shaun what Phillip is telling you is right.There is no ryme or reason for Airline fares.Your best bet is to jump on it.When the price is right for you.

David5o

« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2010, 06:48:55 pm »
Shaun,

Never used Travelocity, we have it in Europe, but they always come up with silly high prices as soon as you try to book a flight!! I've often seen here on the Forum, that people in the know, tend to book with Chinatown based travel agencies in the States, so start looking in that direction. Also look at every Internet air travel site too, as well as keeping an eye on airline websites, always checkout there special/discount sections....

As Philip said, you have plenty of time yet, so don't panic!! Airlines are going through a bad patch right now, so as soon as the Chinese New Year is done and dusted, the prices will start dropping again.... So in future, and as a general rule, never choose a holiday or sporting event period, be it at home or the country your visiting, the airlines ALWAYS take advantage of these times and hack up there prices!!

David.....
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 07:31:57 pm by David5o »

shaun

« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2010, 08:34:55 pm »
Thanks Guys,

I guess I will go back through some threads and see which sites to watch.

Shaun
Quote from: 'JimB' pid='29649' dateline='1264715026'

Next week I am leaving for my fourth trip to China.  this time I go thru Narita. Anything I should know about?  Ive always gone thru Seoul before.  I have never even been given a second glance by any security people in Korea or China.  Flying northwest airlines this time.  At least I get my air miles.

Jim,

I guess I stole your thunder.   I didn't see your post and started sharing frustration and asking questions.  I'll bump it up and see if anyone responses.

Shaun
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 08:36:12 pm by shaun »