Author Topic: What is a "Traditional Chinese Woman/Lady"?  (Read 2478 times)

Offline dude

What is a "Traditional Chinese Woman/Lady"?
« on: April 08, 2010, 09:10:14 am »
I often see this phrase being used here and when I used to checkout the chnlove pages this phrase was used often!

So I want to know what your definitions/opinions/ideas of a "Traditional Chinese Woman/Lady" is. So I would like to pick everybody's brains on this and see what everyone considers a "Traditional Chinese Woman/Lady to be! :icon_biggrin:.

shaun

RE: What is a "Traditional Chinese Woman/Lady"?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 11:17:38 am »
Dude,

Having been here 8 days now, I haven't a clue but I like what I see.

Shaun

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 11:55:50 am »
Dude,

I think that this may be depending on what tradition we are speaking of. If you are asking in general terms you should be able to get a good idea from the other forum posts here. There are a lot of traditions that chinese women have. I think that you want to know what a traditional chinese housewife is? The women on the chn web site do use the term often, but everybody is different. You will still have to get to know her to find out if she fits the mold of "traditional" chinese woman. I think that in general terms they mean a woman that has been brought up to be a loving, devoted wife and mother as well as a family member that others in their family can look up to and depend on. This is just my opinion of what they may be trying to say when they say that they are a traditional chinese woman.

Dave C
Life is like a jar of Jalapenos-- What you eat today will burn your ass tomorrow!.

Arnold

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 12:00:04 pm »
Jim , as you know I'm married to a Shanghainese Woman . So I know the Traditional part of course goes out the window here . But as I look at it , I see a lot chinese Women hide behind this as a cover towards western Men .. for security reasons . By our thinking , it's a Woman from the good ole day's of the 40's and 50's ( as many TV shows had us think ) those are the Traditional Women . Of course , there are those kind of Women in China or in any other Country for that matter . Would we concider a Shy Woman a Traditional Woman ? Who knows , I think you have to live with one to REALLY know . If I ever run into one in Shanghai , I'll let you know .. but don't hold your breath .

David5o

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 04:22:38 pm »
The only thing that i would consider as being ''Traditional'' for a Chinese woman is that she is ''Family Orientated''...  Family being the most important thing in her life, and where the Chinese wife, tends to be very different from most of the modern western women you find out there these days....

Ask any of the married Bros here, as to the importance their wives put in there family life.... lol!!!!

Shy!!, ....personally i've never met a shy Chinese lady, but they are very good at giving off a ''perceived'' shyness!! ...haha!!

After you get past this traditional aspect of the Chinese lady, ....they are all as different as any woman from anywhere else in the world.

David....

Offline Hans

• Once you go Asian you never go Caucasian
    • http://motpol.blogspot.com
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 05:44:29 pm »
China is not a country with one culture, after all there are more than 50 minority peoples in China with their own customs and traditions. So what is considered traditional differs from province to province for sure. My lady used it to describe herself in her first few letters (traditional but also with some new ideas, she said) and I asked her what she meant more precisely. From what I can understand the traditional view has partly to do with gender roles and family values but it can also, like in my lady's case, be about a traditional view on sex and marriage. The best way to find out in every specific case is to ask.

ttwjr32

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 08:41:03 pm »
it is a different meaning depending on the women's view. but i do think that a lot of
the ladies mean that they want to care for the family and the man takes care of the
lifes expenses. they are happy to care for the house,kids,husband while their husband
works

Offline dude

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 11:37:28 pm »
:icon_cheesygrin: The answer's all of you have are great! As all of you and I are aware this would be more of an opinion then a definition! I've been living with my wife for four out of the last six months, here in Changsha. I have met many women here, that are my wifes friends or aquaintances and I have been trying to figure out what this "Traditional Chinese Lady/Woman" thing is...haha! I would say all these women are very good people, in every sense, but the traditional thing is something that I really haven't discovered...they are all modern and living in a modern world!

I'm sure the villages with 2 million population or less(you guys like the term "villages"?)...you will find those "Tradtional Chinese Women/Lady's"! yes I'm joking about this!:icon_cheesygrin:

I just like to hear what everybody here thinks this is....I feel any and every answer to be good one's!:icon_biggrin:

Arnold

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 11:37:34 pm »
Yes , just what I said .. going back to the 50's ( Leave it to Beaver ) . Where Women wore Dresses not Pant's .

Offline dude

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 12:04:03 am »
Quote from: 'Bee964' pid='36392' dateline='1270742150'

Dude,

I think that this may be depending on what tradition we are speaking of.  I think that you want to know what a traditional chinese housewife is? The women on the chn web site do use the term often, but everybody is different. You will still have to get to know her to find out if she fits the mold of "traditional" chinese woman.
Dave C

Dave C,

I feel the term is used a little loosely...my opinion, butt that's ok! I do know what a tradtional Chinese housewife is, been with my wife for over six months(phyisically) and gotten to know her very good! Thanks bro, for your thoughts!

Jim
Quote from: 'Arnold' pid='36462' dateline='1270784254'

Yes , just what I said .. going back to the 50's ( Leave it to Beaver ) . Where Women wore Dresses not Pant's .

In my quest...I was looking for a "CHINESE" Mrs. Cleaver...lol:icon_cheesygrin:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 12:05:23 am by dude »

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 11:52:21 pm »
I was not specifically looking for a traditional Chinese lady.  But in the end, this is what I got:  My wife looks Chinese, speaks Chinese, cooks Chinese....therefore=traditional Chinese woman.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Offline Peter

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 05:26:59 am »
Martin
And what will she be in the future ??? Look like a Chinese, cook Chinese but speak English ??? Will she still be a traditional Chinese woman ??? :icon_confused:
Better to be married to a wife from Changsha then have 7000 women in Chnlove

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 01:52:04 pm »
heehee...funny Peter.  Of course not.  Then she will be a traditional English speaking Chinese Canadian woman.

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 02:21:02 pm »
If I was to think of one thing that differentiates Chinese women in general from western women in general , it would be filial affection.
In a nutshell - family is all important, everything revolves around that. Once you get that about a Chinese lady you start to understand why they do things that seem strange to us westerners. Once you become accepted as a family member, you are to be cherished loved, protected etc,  stronger than 99% of western women ever would.
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline dude

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2010, 10:23:26 pm »
Quote from: 'Martin' pid='36541' dateline='1270871541'

I was not specifically looking for a traditional Chinese lady.  But in the end, this is what I got:  My wife looks Chinese, speaks Chinese, cooks Chinese....therefore=traditional Chinese woman.

Just my 2 cents worth.

hahaha...I wasn't either! We ended up with similiar ladies...butt I call my wife a modern Chinese lady! :heart: