Author Topic: package  (Read 1474 times)

Offline jeff

package
« on: April 17, 2010, 10:57:15 pm »
Hey Guys,

Thinking about sending "Rosetta Stone" to my girl in "Shezhen"...

Just wondering how long to you think it would take from Pennsilvania,
and will it be safe sending it there? Is the percetage pretty good as far as shipping and handling? Is it pretty expensive as far as shipping?

Thanks

Offline Brian Mc

• Zhen Li
RE: package
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 09:20:57 am »
Quote from: 'jeff' pid='37147' dateline='1271559435'

Hey Guys,

Thinking about sending "Rosetta Stone" to my girl in "Shezhen"...

Just wondering how long to you think it would take from Pennsilvania,
and will it be safe sending it there? Is the percetage pretty good as far as shipping and handling? Is it pretty expensive as far as shipping?

Thanks

Hiya Jeff,

Shipping by courier from North America to china is basically as safe as shipping elsewhere.  If you use Fed Ex or Ups or whomever they give you a tracking number you can track the entire way on the internet.  I had my lawyer send my divorce certificate by courier and that is a vital document you must have to get married.  Yes I was worried but I discovered the courier companies all work together in China.  Whichever company is closest to your destination address will deliver the package.  At least that is what I was told.  

My divorce paper arrived on time no problems.  Granted its expensive but as safe as anything short of bringing it yourself.  I also sent a package by mail to a lady from Canada and that also arrived when they said it would.  Perhaps I was lucky but so far so good.  Going by courier would be best since you can track it all the way, just make sure you put the english and chinese address on the label.

The english address to get it to china and the chinese to get it it to her.  Yes you could possibly do it with just the english but why take the chance?  Ask the agency to send you the address in chinese so you can cut and paste it to the label with no translation errors.

Ok now thats out of the way have you considered having her enrol in english classes in her town instead?  The cost may easily be less and possible much more useful.  Its easier to go to school where there are people to help than it is to sit and listen to cd's and hope you pick it up.  I personally have not been successful using the cds.  If she gets frustrated she may stop using them and you are back to square one.  At least in formal classes there is a tutor and other students for help and support.

I have Zhen going to a different school than I teach at so she can learn the basics like sentence structure and sounding the words.  Yes I could teach her myself but with a chinese tutor they can explain things in chinese far better than a cd can and they can help her with the words and sentences also.  Once she learns the basics I can teach her much faster than otherwise so she should be prettty good by the time we go to Canada to visit.  For Zhen to go twice a week for two hours each class for two months was under 500 rmb which is about 85 dollars or so.  Thats less than the courier costs to send the rosetta stone cds.

I realize everyone is different but it may be worth it to check on sending her to school instead of sending her cds.  Its much more personal and should earn you some goody points with her and the family showing you care enough to send her for lessons.

Anyway just a thought.

Take care

Zhen and Brian

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 12:45:28 am »
Jeff,

I have sent a couple packages to china by air mail. One was a small standard mailing box, sent from Ontario Canada. (near Detroit) Registered, no signature required, Tracking number issued, insured, contents were 2 dvd movies and 6 audio cd's. I don't remember the exact weight, I think it was about 700 or 800 grams and it was about $19.00 Canadian. Shipping price was based on weight. Are there books included with the Rosetta Stone program? They will be heavy. The first package took about 4 or 5 weeks to get there. The second package was in an envelope and was only about $9.00 to send. It was lighter and thinner. It only took about 3 weeks to get there. If you use a shipping company, it will be expensive. Check out the USPS and see what options they have for sending packages as well. I received a 5 pound package that was registered, insured and sent from Penn. and the cost was only $14.00. Although this was sent and received in the US for sending a heavy package it was quite cheap. I found a cell phone on one trip and sent it from Detroit to Miami by UPS and it cost $45.00. (owner lived in Miami and I live near Detroit) All I am suggesting is check out the Post Office too. I only put the address in china down in english too. I never thought to put it down in chinese.

Dave C
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 12:50:12 am by Bee964 »
Life is like a jar of Jalapenos-- What you eat today will burn your ass tomorrow!.

ttwjr32

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 01:51:31 am »
i sent both ways when i was in the states and found the post office was
 cheaper but it also took a little longer like 3 weeks to get there. on the
 package i put the address in chinese,english, and also included the phone
 number (cell)

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 11:27:49 am »
Ted,

As we are discussing this I realised that the packages I sent you I only put the address in english! Glad you got them. :icon_cheesygrin:

Dave C
Life is like a jar of Jalapenos-- What you eat today will burn your ass tomorrow!.

rockycoon

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 01:01:36 am »
I went to fed-ex to ship a cowboy hat one time to a friend in China and they wanted 350 usd.  And it wasn't even overnight.
You guys are getting it cheap...:dodgy:

ttwjr32

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 05:44:41 am »
they called to see were to deliver it  lol!
made it to Guangzhou but stopped till
the phone call

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 01:26:23 pm »
Quote from: 'rockycoon' pid='37320' dateline='1271739696'

I went to fed-ex to ship a cowboy hat one time to a friend in China and they wanted 350 usd.  And it wasn't even overnight.

Thats why I decided to check the post office Rocky. That cell phone I sent UPS not heavy, 2nd day air, right around $45.00. Registered post from the post office probably would have been cheaper.

Dave C

Offline odysseus007

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 11:01:05 pm »
Quote from: 'Bee964' pid='37354' dateline='1271784383'

Quote from: 'rockycoon' pid='37320' dateline='1271739696'

Thats why I decided to check the post office Rocky. That cell phone I sent UPS not heavy, 2nd day air, right around $45.00. Registered post from the post office probably would have been cheaper.

Dave C

I bought a very nice cowboy hat in Yunnan, near the Tibetan border, for only 80 RMB. Sure beats sending one from the US.
Men are great thinkers coz they have 2 heads (just don't think with the wrong one!) & women are great talkers coz they have 2...:icon_cheesygrin:

ttwjr32

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 12:41:41 pm »
you could also track from the post office for when it arrives in China