Author Topic: Welcome to the new look forum  (Read 2405 times)

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
Welcome to the new look forum
« on: May 18, 2010, 08:09:10 pm »
Please bear with us over the next few days there has been a lot of changes as you can probably see!
We have moved the forum to a new host and had to make a new domain name for the moment as there have been ..issues.. transferring the old one to here.

There were other problems with the old host that I won't go into here but you probably noticed yourselves.

We have used this opportunity to update to more advanced forum software that we are pretty excited about. There is a lot of extra features that wil be installed over the coming days and weeks.
We did manage to keep all your lovely pictures attached to the new forum as well as the posts. Unfortunately transferring the avatars was not possible.
It will be a big change for all of us getting used to this new environment but, as they stay if your standing still, your going backwards!
Thank you to all members for your patience and understanding in these last few days.

Muireadach, Martin and the Mod team.
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

shaun

Re: Welcome to the new look forum
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 08:21:56 pm »
Guy's, this is definitely a new look and will take a while to discover all of the new things available to us.  You've been working hard at it and I am grateful.  If I or any of the other members have a tendency to grumble over the next few weeks don't take it personal.  We are all having to get used to it.  In the long run not want to let go of this version and will grumble about the next one.  So my hat is off to you.

rockycoon

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 11:14:59 pm »
This new one deserves some serious inspection  :o  But it looks better and runs better.  Over a period of time for adjustment
It will be great.  It's easy to use (even shawn found it).

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 11:17:36 pm »
Glad we're back.  I was beginning to worry. 
...as irresistible as chocolate

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 11:18:45 pm »
Hi guys.  Just spoke to Willy, those in China cannot get this site, something to do with their firewall and the word china...Apparently Ted cannot get this site also.  Oh and welcome back

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 11:20:26 pm »
Hi guys.  Just spoke to Willy, those in China cannot get this site, something to do with their firewall and the word china...Apparently Ted cannot get this site also.  Oh and welcome back

heheh.  That's a little bit funny.   ;D
...as irresistible as chocolate

Arnold

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 11:32:06 pm »
Well now , here I was going to say LOOKS great ... but without Willy and Ted ???  :'(

It will be taken care of .. before they start crying .

shaun

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 11:35:52 pm »
Man, I hate to be the first one to pick but can't we use a better word that karma?  I mean after all we are suppose to be religion neutral everywhere but the religion page.  Karma is a religious term and one that I would not use.

Thanks,

Shaun
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 09:21:01 am by shaun »

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 11:39:16 pm »
just a little question...What is meant by Hero Member? :-\

Offline Lain

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 12:02:55 am »
I was beginning to wonder what was up....I was looking into your host and as mentioned on one of my previous post database connection errors are synominous to hosting companies who overload the server. I did a analysis of the server the site on and I can honestly say that I have never seen anyone place that many email accounts on a server. Looks to me like your host is a heavy spammer?

Check it out. What you cant really see is all the domains that are in the boxes that scroll down. All the ones on the left in yellow are shared accounts on the same sever....most certainly overloaded!

Offline Lain

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 12:08:48 am »

If you can send them a personal email, tell them to use Firefox and get a plugin called Foxy-Proxy...its an easy to use fast proxy switcher to bypass the firewall filters. Easy to understand and install. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2464/

A default proxy they can use is one from University Of Berkley.
IP: 169.229.50.16
Port: 3127

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 03:32:59 am »
Ronan , being a dummy , I have looked , but cannot find how to put my avatar on  :-[
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 03:57:56 am »
Phew !!!

Been a bit like "coitus interruptus" !!!!!

Good to be back in the fray

David

ps...all our positive points have gone....never get them back, that was 600 posts worth !!!

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 06:05:35 am »
Phew !!!

Been a bit like "coitus interruptus" !!!!!

Good to be back in the fray

David

ps...all our positive points have gone....never get them back, that was 600 posts worth !!!

There you go David, some positive karma to get you going :)
Thanks all for your nice comments.

Lain ,I think the real issue on the last host was of server overload, which wasn't caused by this forum, that's daft, its a pretty small forum compared to many others out there.

Regarding this site being blocked in China now that does appear to be true.
It seems having "China" in the domain makes an automatic block.
However here is what i expect to happen :-

1) The chnlove.info domain will be released in the next week and i'll point to here and make it the default url again (chinaromance.net will still work of course also) this should allow our Chinese members back in.
2) The site will eventually get inspected by a human official in China and I hope they will then release the firewall block on the current domain url.

In a nutshell the loss of China access should only be temporary I hope.

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 06:09:00 am »
Ronan , being a dummy , I have looked , but cannot find how to put my avatar on  :-[
The new way of doing things here Rob is a steep learning curve for all of us, myself included!

Profile -> Forum Profile -> Personalized picture -> Upload an avatar
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 06:10:35 am by Irishman »