Author Topic: Truckers  (Read 4165 times)

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
Truckers
« on: July 21, 2010, 07:13:41 am »
I know over the past long while that we have had this group, there have been a number of truckers that have joined our ranks.  I wanted to set up a place for those of us that run the roads...no matter what country you are in...to talk about this different issues that face us.  Whether it be economy, dispatchers, your girlfriend/wife, and everything else in between, I want to hear what you are thinking.

Don't we have someone here from Australia that runs a road train?  Would love to hear stories of that!

Lets stick with truckers on this channel.  If you are in another industry, you will have to change the channel on the CB.

To get this started, I run expedited freight...LTL mostly across Canada.  I run team, which can be pretty tiring at times.  But I have a flexible schedule, so this works for now.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 07:17:05 am by Martin »

Offline Chong

Re: Truckers
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 07:46:05 am »
I had a "Tonka Toy Truck" as a kid ... does that count ?  I used to run a load of marbles across the livingroom floor. I also had to drive while looking out for giant Sasquatches that were bigger than my truck ... [ cat ].

FYI ... Martin doesn't drive trucks for a living ... He talks non-stop 24/7 on his phone 'as a living' while steering with his knees.

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 08:18:15 am »
Martin,

Took the training last year to get my AZ licence. Passed my road test, only failed  not using my mirrors enough, backing up and not going fast enough on the expressway. (98 KPH in a 100 KPH zone) I did not back up close enough to the other truck beside me for her liking. There was someone there and I was not going to take a chance of running them over. I am not quite ready to get the job yet but will be shortly. I have had several job offers to drive but I want to take a little time for myself first.

Dave C
Life is like a jar of Jalapenos-- What you eat today will burn your ass tomorrow!.

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 04:57:16 pm »
If you get your AZ, talk to me about which companies you are thinking about.  On the road, we hear who is good, and who you should run away from.  Most companies are good, but there are a couple that will leave you more than a little frustrated.

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 06:15:02 pm »
Martin,

I guess that I did not make it clear, I do have my AZ licence now. I will be talking to you sometime in the future about it though. I am not ready to start a new job yet. I want to find a chinese woman for my wife first. I don't want to start a job and then say to the employer "I need a month off to go meet a girl in china". It doesn't make me look good, and no comments about this statement please. On a different note I have a picture for you. I don't know if you have seen one of these double 53 footer b-trains. I saw my first one just a couple days ago and took a picture.

Dave C
Life is like a jar of Jalapenos-- What you eat today will burn your ass tomorrow!.

Offline Jadams79

• http://www.myspace.com/norric_mitori
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 06:23:34 pm »
Mostly run midwest region now, mixed JIT loads, a bit of LTL, still looking for a chinese girl to train me haha

Been at it going 5 years now. New federal regs got everyone frieked out. Gonna be out 14 weeks next haul then off to China again ^^
Can't fix stupid.

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 06:25:55 pm »
Jadams...what new regs?  I didn't realize they were changing things in the USA again.

Bee...they have been running this doubles in the Prairies for years, but I see them now on the 401.  Basically, its a turnpike double is I think the name for them.

Offline Jadams79

• http://www.myspace.com/norric_mitori
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 06:30:00 pm »
I've done rocky double tankers before was a lot of fun ^^

New US regs CSA 2010 stuff, http://csa2010.fmcsa.dot.gov/about/csa_how.aspx

Its going to be bloody difficult, especially the new health regulations, The approximate loss of drivers because of the heath regulations alone is estimated at 65%, as for the other regulations they already know of 200k drivers that will lose their ability to drive. Either medical or licsense.
Can't fix stupid.

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 06:46:50 pm »
Ha, not everything is bigger and better in Texas as they say , we have B- doubles coming out our ears over here and now even B- Triples , and I am stuffed as to how they even think about backing with 3 low loader trailers , regards Robert .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 07:25:16 pm »
We were told about them in class last year. These were the first ones I had ever seen on the road. I had been watching for them too. I did not know they were like this in the praries Martin.

Dave C

ttwjr32

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 09:55:04 pm »
Robert,

you dont back up doubles or triples you just stay straight until you drop one or two then you can back up.
which is why you dont see them in truckstops unless they are parked along the curbing somewere.

just from my experience driving truck

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 10:06:50 pm »
Question now. Can they haul 160,000 pounds? I know the limit for a truck with a trailer is 80,000 pounds so I just think the weight would be double right?

Dave C

ttwjr32

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 10:18:53 pm »
Dave,

you do need a trip permit for these and i believe normally it is 105,000 for weight unless of course
your carrying heavy equipment which requires a 1 time permit for the size and weight along with the
pilot cars.

not sure though as i just had my truck and trailer and didnt pay to much attention to the rules for this

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 10:35:14 pm »
First off, the 80K weight limit is American, and not Canadian. And hauling 160K..I would guess a special permit on a truck with a lot of axels.

A lot of rules are different If you run north of the border. Weights and HOS are both different.

shaun

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 10:40:36 pm »
This is all very interesting.  I have been considering going from a CDL B to a CDL A and going over the road since all my children are grown.