Author Topic: Truckers  (Read 4167 times)

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
Re: Truckers
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2010, 10:53:52 pm »
What is a CDL A versus CDL B?

ttwjr32

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2010, 11:50:29 pm »
an A you can drive anything a B is just for cars

Offline maxx

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2010, 12:04:11 am »
B is for straight truck.With air brakes up to three axles. Dump truck pumper truck,School bus all fall under the B license.For the school bus.I think you need a couple of other endorsements.Shaun would know about that.

shaun

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2010, 12:06:23 am »
Incorrect Ted.  A CDL B can drive a straight truck with air brakes.  Also they carry passengers 16 or more where a regular license can only carry up to 15 passengers.  But a CDL B can't drive with placards and anything that has more than 10 wheels which excludes tractor trailers. 

Backing up and mirror usage is different too.  I just need to study up on the placards and backing I think.

Peggy said if I can make a lot more money, go for it.  I'll at least investigate.  The rule changes that JAdams is talking about affects school buses too.  The biggie is talking on a cell phone.  If you are caught you can lose your endorsements permanently.  That include blue tooth for bus drivers.

I just took my yearly physical today and a hearing test was new this year.  They checked both ears.  I passed everything but the doctor said I needed to loose the Hawaiian shirts.  Hehe.   Really he said that many of the people they are seeing will fail next year and loose their license because oh health and the lack of taking care of themselves.  He told me I wouldn't have any problems passing it.

Max you snuck in while I was writing.  Yes you need a P and a  S endorsement.  P for passenger and S for safety; railroad tracks mainly.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 12:10:20 am by shaun »

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2010, 01:42:05 am »
Ok, the only weight limit I could remember from class was the American limit. (truthfully speaking I could not remember if it was the Canadian or American one) I will have to look this up in my class books I guess. But back to my question about weight, what you are saying is that the weight limit does not change then, right? As I talk about this I am remembering the instructor talking about the weight limits now...  ???

Dave C
Life is like a jar of Jalapenos-- What you eat today will burn your ass tomorrow!.

Offline Jadams79

• http://www.myspace.com/norric_mitori
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2010, 12:08:43 am »
Dave

The weight calculations varry per state, but federally its 12k steers, then 17k per tandem, up north you see a lot of trucks with multiple axle trailers, most i have seen was on a steel ore / salt trailer at 12 with his tag axle on his truck 16 total axle, there is also a difference for the weight based on the tires if it is a tag axle that is hydrolic/phneumatic, or if its a set of dual tandems. Then there are differences in states such as OK or LA that the state highway systems are authorized at heavier axle weights. Then california has a different weight calculation for spread axle depending on haul type or trailer type, on their dual bias tire trailers can haul up to 105k if permitted within the state.

In Oklahoma, you can operate a class B vaccum truck with 6 axle, but you might as well have class A certification.

shaun
as for the new health regulations, the 2 that has the industry going out of its mind is BMI, body mass index, and blood sugar, there is also a 3rd test that has not been highlighted much as a failure point is blood in urine. Hearing test has always been accepted as you can hear a forced whisper. I watched 3 drivers fail the blood in urine test a few days ago at the yard, after having set over 20 hours in a bus and not rehydrating it can happen.

Also the new points system is a failure in my opinion, and is hyper critical, everything including if you have a tail light out now goes both against the individual driver rating and the company rating. Including accidents, even if you are not at fault, eg. someone rear ends you, or backs into your CMV it will count as points against you as the driver, and points against your company.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 12:18:44 am by Jadams79 »
Can't fix stupid.

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2010, 09:27:15 pm »
There is a truck show in Fergus Ontario this weekend. I went there and here are some pictures from it. I did not get many pictures because the weather was not cooperating but here is some of what I have.

Dave C
Life is like a jar of Jalapenos-- What you eat today will burn your ass tomorrow!.

ttwjr32

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2010, 09:12:58 pm »
Shaun,

not in Calif.  class A  anything
                    class B  cars and buses and limo's
                    class C  cars only

ttwjr32

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2010, 12:41:47 pm »
IOWA 80 truck stop is a really interesting place to stop when out on the highways some nice rigs there
i always made a point to stopover there for 10 hours when i was driving. good museum to

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2010, 02:05:20 pm »
Ted,

I have been to that truck stop twice. It is a big truck stop. I loved looking at all the trucks there. Huge shop too. And some good food!

Dave C

Offline Jadams79

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2010, 04:42:03 pm »
I go through Iowa 80 truck stop bout 6 times a month, I like the eating across the street better, great place to pick up bling for my trucks though >< Must HAVE SHINEY THINGS! Had to nix the all chrome steering wheel, burned the hell outta my hands one day setting in the sun ><

Anyone else ever stop on Mount Eagle in TN decent place to eat.
Can't fix stupid.

ttwjr32

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2010, 04:21:27 am »
been there also  who do you drive for Jadams?? just curious

Offline Jadams79

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2010, 11:47:25 pm »
At the moment I drive for K&B, I have two other trucks leased onto a grain operation in Kansas and Oklahoma.
Can't fix stupid.

Offline Jimmy

• Soon the Family will be Complete.
  • She Was A Wonderful Wife
    • Jim N Libo
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2010, 01:31:34 am »
I must have done it all backwards.
I drove several years, Started as a kid hauling Hay for my Dad.
Wanted to see the country so went over the road for several years. I was single had no real responibility. Stayed living at home even, since I was only there 3 or 4 days a month. Gave dad a few hundred a month help out him and Mom.
Found a girlfriend got married ran local a few years. Then finally gave it all up.
I must say, I do not miss it in the least. A time in my life I will never forget. If I had it to do over. I would change nothing. But I had my fill. a couple million miles is enough for anyone.
Besides Lost the CDL a few years ago. Can't pass the physical anymore. So the took it. I can drive the car and my bike and my boat thats all I need.

I do remember when the big switch to the CDL was made, I was so happy I already had Class 1. The guys just starting had a terrible time with it.
Jimmy Henson

ttwjr32

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2010, 09:43:07 am »
after retiring the first time i got bored and when i owned 2 travel plazas i always wanted to drive the open road
and see the country and make a little money. so i bought a new truck and signed on with central to haul refrigerated
with leasing their trailer. wow for 18 months i had fun and saw many beautiful things and met some really great people.

from owning a couple travel plazas i didnt have that perception that many do of truck drivers and i will tell you what
they are for the most part 85% really good people. i am glad i did that but of course i had to sell the truck and come live
in China or otherwise i would probably still be driving. the per cent of the load was good and i had a lot of freedom if i
wanted to get a hotel room rent a car and enjoy the area i was in.

as they say  WORK TO LIVE NOT LIVE TO WORK