Author Topic: Moon Cake Madness  (Read 1962 times)

Offline shaun

Moon Cake Madness
« on: September 08, 2010, 09:07:42 pm »
Peggy wants to send me moon cakes from Shaoguan to me in the US.  China Post has told her no twice.  Today they said they would ship but could not guarantee their arrival.  They also said it would cost 300RMB.  A little steep if you ask me.

Does anyone know how to get them here?

Shaun

ttwjr32

Re: Moon Cake Madness
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 09:12:21 pm »
moon cakes are expensive because of the weight of them so it wont be cheap any way they are sent.

go to a chinese supermarket and you can buy the exact same brands in the states as you can here

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 09:20:59 pm »
Do they taste good?  I've never had one.

ttwjr32

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 09:27:28 pm »
actually they do taste good but you have to watch which ones you buy. they differ from maker and
the expensive ones usually are the best ones to get. if you cut corners here it usually means a not
very tasty product

Paul Todd

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 10:38:16 pm »
The name is more interesting than the cakes, even the expensive ones are not that great.  Some have a semi-sweet red bean paste in them, others have lotus paste and can be made with or without an egg yolk center. I'm more of a big chocolate cake man myself, must have been my misspent youth ::)

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 11:28:17 pm »
We were out the other night, and I saw them, so I wanted to get some, she flatly refused, she told me, NO BUY, I make hehe.  I'm like you martin I not tasted them yet neither...looking forward to it... :D

Offline Mikael_Shim

• | IT Security Analyst & Consultant | CHiNA |
  • QQ (1494158153)
    • Access any website or service from Within China. 100% anonymously
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 11:39:22 pm »
EMS, 100% delivery with tracking ID. I buy stuff often from HK and China, always use EMS never had a failure. They are cheaper then UPS, Fedex etc..

And i would be surprised if they would charge more then 300RMB, well, depends how many mooncakes we are talking about.

last thing i ordered from mainland was a Dreambox DM800HD (digital receiver). Quite big box, i would assume atleast 2.6 kilo (5lb?) costed 32us$ including insurance
and tracking id.

If she insists on sending hehe, although u can find it locally. Ask her to check:

http://www.ems.com.cn/english-main.jsp

Personally i think they taste donkey turd
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 11:41:07 pm by Mikael_Shim »
"Just call me Mikkie , thats what all Asians do anyway"

对于世界而言,你是一个人;但是对于某个人,你是他的整个世界

Offline Jason B

• Xia and Laura the most beautiful girls in the world
  • Xia - guardian of my heart.
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 12:12:51 am »
Don't know about sending them, but before I left China they were starting to advertise them everywhere.  I did get to taste some free samples and all I can say is that I am not overly impressed by them.  But each to his/her own.  I will be back in Hong Kong the day the festival starts, yipee.
I WILL have my revenge for having to be clean shaven......once I learn how to tame my Dragon.

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 02:08:20 am »
Do they taste good?  I've never had one.

They're sweet and there are great varieties.  Mike and I both have lots of them around us...a pack of 4 usually goes for between $10 all the way up to $50 (and higher) depending on what they're made of and what fillings are in them.

That said, be prepared to put on weight... one box I bought a while back was packing 900 calories per cake...(and these are not big...smaller than a saucer dish and about 3-4cm tall).

As for shipping...I would advise Peggy not to ship them.  Even if China Post or whoever is willing to ship them, because of the contents, they will trigger all sorts of alarms in all sorts of departments.
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Offline shaun

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 05:25:36 am »
Thanks for the info guys.

I do have to ask one question though, but first I must say Mikael welcome to the site.  Mikael, are you confessing that you know what a donkey turd taste like?  :o   Sorry, sometimes I just can't resist.

Offline Chong

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 06:25:47 am »
The USA doesn't allow Moon Cake Products to travel because of the egg yolk; that's why they confiscate them at the airport when people try to carry it with them. I think shipping en masse is okay, but not individual packages. I could be wrong,

The best Moon Cakes here in Kaiping comes from the local bakery ... black bean paste, no egg for just 2 RMB each. Personally, I think expensive Moon Cakes are a rip-off. It's a marketing gimmick just like Valentine's Day [ chocolates ]. Everybody feels that they have to buy it. Here, employees are expecting boxes from their employers and the latter has to buy the best ... in order to put forth a 'good face'.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 06:28:05 am by Chong »

Offline Mikael_Shim

• | IT Security Analyst & Consultant | CHiNA |
  • QQ (1494158153)
    • Access any website or service from Within China. 100% anonymously
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 07:07:37 am »
Thanks for the info guys.

I do have to ask one question though, but first I must say Mikael welcome to the site.  Mikael, are you confessing that you know what a donkey turd taste like?  :o   Sorry, sometimes I just can't resist.

I didnt per se actually digest one, but i smelled it . And well.... i have very vivid imagination

Hehe no worries, i think its called to cease the moment. And thanks for the welcome.
"Just call me Mikkie , thats what all Asians do anyway"

对于世界而言,你是一个人;但是对于某个人,你是他的整个世界