Author Topic: Guess its my turn  (Read 15640 times)

ttwjr32

Re: Guess its my turn
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2010, 06:41:55 pm »
i have never flown thru india but fron what everyone has told
me they have probably the best security at the airports as far
as being stringent.

i dont think i would want to bring powdered milk thru there that
a lot of guys bring their wives or girlfreinds. could slow you down

Offline Jan

• QQ 1507672319
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2010, 09:36:47 am »
I'm getting somewhere now. I'm booking my flights this week. I will go there on December. Arrive to Guangzhou airport late Saturday night. And then return home in 8 days, Sunday. I can't get more time off from work. So this will do for now.

It seems she is getting rather excited as well. Shes telling me she is learning English on her free time. She does know some already. So I think we can at least communicate without a translator. And those were her words  :D.

I think she is trusting me more and more. And shes even starting to be a bit playful as well. I mostly share whats going on in my daily life. And she likes to comment everything.

Lately she has mostly been playfully asking about my mother and what will she think about her. And I try to answer to her playfully as well. And she often replys with "呵呵" (haha in Chinese). After I told her I learnt those letters she keeps using those. What will my mother think of a Chinese girl etc. But my mother is a great person so she will accept her and her own words "Asian girls tend to look after the guys more than these Europeans..."

She is telling me not to rush with my Chinese studies. But I will try to learn what I can in this time.

She has also said that I will most likely get to see her parents as well depending how well we actually work things out when its face to face time.

She is also telling me to wear more clothes all the time. Because she knows it gets cold at Finland during winters. Or at least colder than where she lives at.

I'm just now wondering if there is still anything I've missed with her?
Something I should maybe know before going there?

And one thing I've been wondering about. How much cash can/should I bring with me? I've read that 5000 USD is maximum one can bring. But theres no way I'm gonna need that much for a weeks trip.

The plane tickets are going to cost me around 900 euros back and forth. I guess its a decent price. The worst part of the trip will be when I'm at HK airport and waiting for the connection flight to Kanton/Guanghzou airport. I will have to wait there for 5hours I think. I will go out of my mind then haha. So close but still so far from her...

How far away is Jiangmen from the airport if anyone knows? Will we need to spend hours in a cab? She promised to come and pick me up from the airport.

Its still 2 months away but. I've asked her so many questions already I think I should chill for a while with it hehe. About the trip of course. Like what kind of weather will it be. Apparently cold and maybe some rain. But if it rains it can't be cold... When it rains snow then it can be cold :).
She has suggested some places we should try and visit already. But I keep telling her I will come wherever she wants to take me to. As long as she is around. We've also joked that if I get lost in a crowd or she does. I might not find her easily but she should find me easily at least. Being ~20 centimeters taller than the average Chinese and paler skin color.

I am quite sure everything will go fine when seeing her. And will lead to a new visit. But if it doesn't at least I'm a richer person with the experience. I've also thought that if it doesn't work I could go to Guangzhou airport and then to Beijing for the normal tourist places. But I think and wish that it won't go to that.

I'm quite sure that the translator isn't changing things I write to her at least much. And whoever the translator is, that person seems to be doing a good job understanding what I write. Even though I often end up just writing hard words or sentences that might not be too easy to understand.
Oh I will also need to check out how much I've spent on EMF. So I can tell her at the end of the trip. So that she can understand that I can buy a ticket to China with the moneys if we try to use Emails, txt messages etc.

She is still hardly at QQ, but I think thats because of our time difference, she working 6 days a week. But I've made some random friends on QQ. Some school aged girls add me randomly, and I ask who are they. They say they are X X... And if they can write with me just to use English. I tell them sure as long as I can try to practice Chinese with them and they can teach me something. Like I learnt "呵呵" that way.

Hmm this post is getting quite unorganized I think. So I'll leave it here 呵呵.

Oh a offtopic funny thing I found in the internet, thought I'd share it:
Chinese calendar: 2 years ago: Year of the Cow - Mad Cow Disease. Last Year: year of the Bird - Bird flu. This year: Year of the pig - swine flu. Next year: Year of the Cock. Anybody else worried???

Offline Peter

« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2010, 10:36:39 am »
HK is a very good airport so spending 5 hours will not be a long time... Enjoy the last decent cup of coffee for a while if you could not find a Starbuck café  ;D ;D ;D    Close to the big windows are resting chairs so you could take a nap if you want to..
Don´t expect her English to be good because even if she will learn some she don't have any practising in the language..
But most of all have a good trip and enjoy yourself. China is a fantastic country

Peter
Better to be married to a wife from Changsha then have 7000 women in Chnlove

Arnold

« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2010, 11:22:59 am »
Jan , before buying the Ticket's .. make sure your Lady has most of those 8 days your there off from Work . This is a very short time to get to know each other Face to Face and all . You need to make the best of those days for both of you and plan a longer Trip next time .
Peter is right , some of those Airport's are really great ( I love Soul's Airport and would not mind spending hours there ) and you'll have time to think of your first approach/step meeting her clearly .
You'll need it , when the nervous part kicks in . haha

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2010, 05:13:03 pm »
Jan, connection flight from HK to Guangzhou airport, are you crazy??!!

I just got back from HKIA. It is very easy to get from there to Guangzhou.
I used the train, extremely simple to use and no hassles.

1)Get the airport express train from HKIA (very well sign posted in the airport in English) to Tsing Yi subway station.

2)Get a subway train from Tsing Yi to Hung Hom (again this is dead easy to do, all the ticket terminals are dual language and simple to use).

3)At Hung Hom get the bullet train to Guangzhou East Railway station. You go through immigration in GZ East railway station so no huge queues like at the Hong Kong border if you took the bus.
There you have the GZ metro system in the same place and you are already in GZ city proper.

GZ airport is about an hours drive away from the city and makes no sense to fly to from HKIA unless you are rich and like to burn money pointlessly.
The total cost of all trains return from GZ is about 50 euro.

You can get the bus also from the airport to Guangzhou, but that is not so user friendly (if you speak mandarin it may be a more attractive as it is a little cheaper, though it is slower).
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline Jason B

• Xia and Laura the most beautiful girls in the world
  • Xia - guardian of my heart.
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2010, 05:51:37 pm »
HK airport does have a lot a shop to browse through whilst waiting for a plane, although one thing to be aware of, if you do not have any HKD on you or money to transfer over (there are a lot of exchange booths, just look for a map and they are all located) and you decide to use an ATM to get some HKD be aware that the lowest amount you can get out is between 4000 and 6000 HKD I can't remember which but I thought that was too much when I was there 2 weeks ago.  Too much just for a coffee and something to eat.  Luckily I had some AUD on me and got a little changed of that and bought some food.

Also do not believe that she doesn't drink alcohol, Xia does and when I asked her about this, as her profile says never drinks.  She said that is because she never gets drunk but still drinks occasionally/socially just the odd glass of wine or the rest of my beer (which does get annoying sometimes, but then I just get her to order some more)
I WILL have my revenge for having to be clean shaven......once I learn how to tame my Dragon.

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2010, 06:19:47 pm »
Regarding the amount of money to bring, €1000 is more than enough, unless you are staying somewhere very expensive you'll find it hard to spend that in a week.
I'd recommend bringing it in cash and opening a Bank of China account when you are there. Easy to do and you don't have to carry a lot of cash around with you. The card they  give you can be used like a credit card in the shops too for bigger purchases. Also you wont get charged every time for using the atm also if you use your western visa card the most you'll normally be able to take out at a time a max of 2500 RMB or around €280

Offline maxx

« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2010, 07:36:57 pm »
Jan pay attention to what Irishman posted to you.No way would I spend 5 hours in the Hong Kong airport.

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2010, 08:35:22 pm »
Jan pay attention to what Irishman posted to you.No way would I spend 5 hours in the Hong Kong airport.

Thanks Maxx.
Jan I forgot to add that the total time by train from HKIA to GZ East Railway Station is about 3 hours . Its also a pretty cool journey. Airports are bubbles, not real life, i quite enjoyed the experience of travelling on the HK metro (subway) system. You get to see real people and real life not just rich tourists in the airport.

Beats 5 hours doing nothing worthwhile in an overpriced airport any day.

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2010, 09:23:00 pm »
Actually, 5 hours in the airport isn't necessarily a bad thing.  Let's ignore the fact that you could meet sooner, but depending on where you're from, it'll give you a few moments to acclimate to your surroundings.  I don't know about you, but being on a 15-17 hour flight, you need to get yourself re-hydrated and if you're meeting someone at the destination point (airport/bus stop/etc) a little refreshing wouldn't hurt.

梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Offline Peter Arnold

• Milestogo
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2010, 12:23:01 am »
Jan,
just thought I'd throw in my twenty cents worth. In terms of weather, you can check the weather on the internet as time gets closer. I am in Shenyang at the moment and would not want to be here in December. I would freeze. Guangzhou was very humid on my stopover in late September. I would recommend get some RMB money before you leave. I'm not sure about Hong Kong dollars. I used a Visa which worked out of my savings account from home and my Mastercard as a backup in case I lost my Visa card. Someone mentioned about these ladies not drinking alcohol. My lady shares a beer with me and also makes her own wine at home. It is fantastic and packs a punch. And she listed that she did not drink on her profile. You will love your trip ( I hope) and learn heaps. Like someone else said, ask how much time she can get off. If she is keen she will do her best to get as much time off for you. Have a great trip. The 'waiting is the hardest part' .
Peter
It is never too late to be what you might have been

Offline Jan

• QQ 1507672319
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2010, 09:20:43 am »
Oh one more question.

What should I bring with me as presents? What will probably be something she will like? Or should I know that already by now :D?

And is there something nice I could bring for her parents too. If she decides I'm worthy to see them.

I'd like to buy those things in advance so I can say those are from Finland. So those presents will feel more special. I have tried to ask her a few times if there is anything she would like or her parents might like. But she keeps saying. "You don't need to bring anything, just yourself."

All I now have to do is wait for a few weeks to get my new passport. Old one is expiring in 9 months. So I'll rather get a brand new one in advance. And then the Visa, will take a few days. So hopefully by the end of this month everything will be ready. And then I just have to wait one more month for the actual journey...

Offline chen yan

• http://chenyan19851010.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2010, 02:33:57 pm »
Jan, I think your best plan is to fly to Hong Kong and not Beijing.
If you depart from Hong Kong Airport, you can take the airport bus at Counter 16 at Coach Hall of Terminal 2, bus fare is about 250 HKD per person, and it takes around 4 hours.or Ferries from Hong Kong to Jiangmen leave at Hong Kong China Ferry Terminal. There are two ferries every day, leaving at 08:30 and 14:00, and it takes two and a half hours. Ticket fare is about the same with the bus. There are also buses from Hong Kong Mong Kok Station. There are 4 buses every day, leaving at 8:15, 9:15, 18:15 and 19:15. Bus fare is about 120 HKD per person.
So.............now book your flight and tell your lady! Best of luck ;D

Paul Todd have gave the best way to Jiangmeng , No need to take airplane!!

Love ,Joy ,Peace~

Offline Jimmy

• Soon the Family will be Complete.
  • She Was A Wonderful Wife
    • Jim N Libo
« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2010, 12:43:21 pm »
Hey Jan I mentioned this to my wife. Her parents live there in Zhuhai. And she tells me the ferry ride is not a bad way to go. And it is different.
And then a bus up to GZ I guess maybe an hour.
Jimmy Henson

Offline maxx

« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2010, 01:06:48 pm »
Jimmy the ferry ride is a hour and fifteen minutes from Hong Kong to Zhuhai.The bus depot is across town from the ferry teminal.The bus depot is over by Macau.Then it is a 2 hour ride by bus to GZ.So 3 to 4 hours is the travel time