All About China > Understanding Chinese Women

Chinese cooking in the new Western World

<< < (2/3) > >>

Jason B:
Xia will make Chinese food about 80% of the time and western food 20%.  I do not mind at all I love Chinese food no matter what it is.  We always have cereal and toast and coffee for breakfast though.  She is getting better cooking steaks and chicken breast etc.  But can not get her head around the fact that we eat a whole steak and do not cut it up into wafer thin strips prior to cooking it.

maxx:
MY wife cooks what she wants to eat.I cook what I want to eat.Are three boys.Have a different choice every night what they want to eat.For breakfest the boys eat cereal or eggs.

daghoi:

My soon to be wife is "inspired" by western food. Lived in the country for many years. She makes everything from start, uses only proper meat or fish, "tons" of fresh vegetables. Often two dishes, soup and meat or fish. No industrialized produced food, to be found in the house. We never needed to worry if we had eaten any food with horse meat.  Here in scandinavia it was discovered food that was declared as cattle actualy was horse meat. Understand it was same in UK and france and some other european country. Anyway thanks to my wifes cooking I did not need to worry about that.

JohnB:
Other than the dumplings & soup, I think stir- fry must be the only way Jing cooks. Same, same..lots of vegetables, some meat, and a lot of stirring. I am thinking I much prefer my vegetables steamed, a little butter, lemon, salt & pepper. And of course, fine grated Parmigiano Reggiano Stravecchio (Costco, a best buy). Soon the test of wills.   
Kind of odd, she hasn't done "hot pot"..in China, it is what we most often have at dinner in restaurants. Something different, healthy & tastes great.
https://www.google.com/search?q=chinese+hot+pot&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=m6g2UcSZLMWHqwHB6oHgCw&sqi=2&ved=0CD8QsAQ&biw=1600&bih=767
My favorite Chinese food was in Changsha. Outstanding! I gravitated China north until I met Jing in Liaoning Province. More noodles than rice and there is a noticeable Korean influence to the cuisine there. Jing likes kimchi. I think it safe to say that Chinese soup, wherever, was always very good. I had radish soup in a hotel in Handan one late night. Radish soup! Beyond belief it was that good.
Again Changsha. First China visit, August as in HOT & HUMID. Was in a restaurant with others and the order was for fish soup. Out it came. Looked like a frickin carp in dirty soap water. I am thinking... I don't eat carp, but. Anyway, I did. And did not stop. I noticed the Chinese like the head. I of course, ate the upper, forward fillet of the fish. The soup, ahh!

China culinary 1st experiences are great, except for the donkey meat & snake.

Arnold:
I thought this would be funny, that Qing loves for me to make French Fries at home. One of our last trips to Walmart, I came by a nice Deep Fryer.. so I though why not? The only thing, now we also needed a Fries Cutter Tool. That of course was more than twice the price of the Deep Fryer. As I do NOT buy the cheapest of anything.. it had to be Metal not Plastic and be willing to last for years to come.
The Hot-Pot thing maybe not being too popular for our Lady's at home, might be because it is time consumming preparing all the food items going into the Pot. Qing does not want to buy (too expensive) the already cut Meat's/Ball's.. so doing this from scratch can take all afternoon. Of course the cleanup all night!
It is awesome though when we do have it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version