Author Topic: Cheap Flights  (Read 15997 times)

Offline zook144

RE: Cheap Flights
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2009, 06:09:47 pm »
Was wondering if anyone has flown Northwest from the states to China with a change in Tokyo. Going to Beijing, by the way. Northwest has a good price (I think anyway) about $940 all taxes and fees included. But one drawback is only a 50 minute layover in Tokyo to catch plane on to Beijing. And that 50 minute layover on the way back also.  Is this enough time to change planes or terminals. Have been looking at the tokyo airport website, but without having been there, its all pretty confusing.
Am going to Handan in March. My lady says to take the train from Beijing to Handan.
All help and info appreciated.
Thanks
Don
The Journey Is The Destination

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2009, 07:15:02 pm »
Quote from: 'zook144' pid='26541' dateline='1261955387'

Was wondering if anyone has flown Northwest from the states to China with a change in Tokyo. Going to Beijing, by the way. Northwest has a good price (I think anyway) about $940 all taxes and fees included. But one drawback is only a 50 minute layover in Tokyo to catch plane on to Beijing. And that 50 minute layover on the way back also.  Is this enough time to change planes or terminals. Have been looking at the tokyo airport website, but without having been there, its all pretty confusing.
Am going to Handan in March. My lady says to take the train from Beijing to Handan.
All help and info appreciated.
Thanks
Don

In general a 50 minute layover is enough to change planes assuming no delays (this was before the thing a few days ago).  But it's usually recommended that you have at least a 2 hour layover just in case.  During the winter you could easily need more than that.  And with the bomb attempt on Christmas, you could easily need more than that.

Whenever possible, especially since you live on the west side, try to get a direct flight to China.  Might be rougher in the short term, but you don't have to deal with the hassle of missed connections...

As for Handan, your lady is right.  I'm not sure if they have the D trains heading there yet, but you're looking at several hours (I think Brian is living in Handan so he could probably give you a more accurate answer).
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 07:16:13 pm by mustfocus »
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Paul Todd

« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2009, 08:05:04 pm »
Yes, the super duper fast trains run from Beijing to Handan in only 3 hours. Here's a link to routes and a general Chinese train guide:-
http://www.travelchinaguide.com/china-trains/
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 08:23:44 pm by Paul Todd »

Offline zook144

« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2009, 08:40:41 pm »
Thanks mustfocus and Paul.
I talked to Brian and yes he said about 3 hours to Handan.  I live on the East Coast and have a smaller airport, so I have to fly to DC,
Atlanta, or Detroit usually to make an international connection. I like flying Delta or Northwest because I have skymiles with them...But I'm sure there are better airlines.   Except United.....I DO NOT like them so very much...haha
Don

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2009, 09:34:15 pm »
Just a note... you don't have to focus solely on Delta/NWA.    You should be able to use any of the skyteam members and gain milage through them that way.  At least that's how star alliance and one world operate.
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Offline Carnegie

• Looks like it'll be two weeks in GZ now.
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2009, 09:44:43 pm »
Quote from: 'Rhonald' pid='10498' dateline='1249097987'

I went to our Chinatown in Calgary today, I checked out a Chinese travel agency...boy I wish I checked this sooner. For a trip to Hong Kong in October I will pay just over $700 Cdn. If I had booked last week I would have saved an extra $100. The place I used last time is charging $950 Cdn. and both agencies use the same airline (United) and route (via San Fran). Maybe any of you guys with a reasonable sized chinatown in your city, should check if there is a Chinese Travel agency and compare prices.

Where in Chinatown did you go?  I live in Calgary as well and am trying to head to China in February/March.  Thanks!

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2009, 09:55:29 pm »
You could always try toureast.com.  I've had some pretty good dealings with them.  But realistically, any chinese travel agency could probably get you a good deal as they generally specialize in travel to Asia.
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Offline zook144

« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2009, 10:14:46 pm »
Quote from: 'mustfocus' pid='26555' dateline='1261967655'

Just a note... you don't have to focus solely on Delta/NWA.    You should be able to use any of the skyteam members and gain milage through them that way.  At least that's how star alliance and one world operate.

I did not know about this multiple airline skyteam.  Thanks alot
Don

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2010, 10:29:08 am »
I found a couple new sites to look at flights. Kayak.com and ugoigo.com. Kayak.com will check multiple sites like travelocity, expedia, orbitz... If you are flexible with dates you can always find better deals. Going to Singapore in march. When I first started looking the best package I found was around $2700 US for 12 nights at a 3 star hotel. I have found the same price approximately, $2733.91 but in canadian funds. This is for the flight I want, not the cheapest but gets there at a decent time, 6:05 pm. (about $400 more than the cheapest, I don't mind paying the extra the first time I meet her but subsequent flights may not be so convenient for her. Almost all the flights get there between midnight and 2:00 am.) and the hotel my lady suggested to stay at, it is near her place. (the best price for the hotel so far has been on a site called agoda.com) My daughter is in the travel and tourism course at the local college here and she told me that I should also call the airline. Sometimes they will give a better price than these sites. They are making money off these deals too. I have been to europe a couple times, my sister lives in france, but I have never been to the east. I am looking forward to going.
Life is like a jar of Jalapenos-- What you eat today will burn your ass tomorrow!.

David5o

« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2010, 11:13:53 am »
Bee964,

You will find that you lady will get an even better price, if you let her book your hotel.....
That's what most of the Bro's do here. Those that don't, ...tend to end-up paying top dollar!!!

David....

ttwjr32

« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2010, 11:21:40 am »
Davids right  let your lady book the hotel just cover the
flight and she will get you a room. We were going to a hotel
and when i asked the price it was 788rmb and my wife got the
same room for 368rmb  big difference

David5o

« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2010, 11:35:19 am »
Ted,

It's basically the same here in Cyprus too, if i want to buy any big ticket price items, i always get the best price i can find myself, then ask a Cyp friend to get a price!! He always , but always gets a much better deal than i can ever negotiate. Foreginers are always shafted no-matter where you go...hahaha!!

David....

ttwjr32

« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2010, 11:38:03 am »
David,

except in california were i came from. there not partial there
they try and screw you for moey no matter were your from.
1 price fits all-------high------:icon_cheesygrin:

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2010, 03:08:13 pm »
Quote from: 'David5o' pid='30263' dateline='1265300033'

Bee964,

You will find that you lady will get an even better price, if you let her book your hotel.....
That's what most of the Bro's do here. Those that don't, ...tend to end-up paying top dollar!!!

David....

I was just a little hesitent about asking her this. I don't mind asking her but if she has to shell out anything I would feel a little uncomfortable asking her to do this and also sending the money without even meeting her. I think she will do this for me. She is in Singapore.
Quote from: 'ttwjr32' pid='30274' dateline='1265301483'

David,

except in california were i came from. there not partial there
they try and screw you for moey no matter were your from.
1 price fits all-------high------:icon_cheesygrin:

Kinda sounds like Toronto.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 03:09:47 pm by Bee964 »
Life is like a jar of Jalapenos-- What you eat today will burn your ass tomorrow!.

David5o

« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2010, 06:08:04 pm »
Bee964,

Your lady would be booking the room/reservation, ....Not paying for it !!! You sort out the payment arrangement when you get there. Normally i would pay anywhere from the first to three nights in advance (when booking in at  reception) then pay the remaining nights i stay at the hotel just prior to my departure, or at the end of each week in arrears....

So your lady will not have to pay anything up front when making your reservation....

David.....