All About China > Chinese Culture And Festivals

Guangdong province migration

<< < (2/5) > >>

David5o:
Vince,

Maybe, but most Mainland Chinese coming to Hong Kong feel like there in a different country because of the language barrier. they can't even write things down to be understood , because neither understand each others writing haha!!

David....

feisnik:
There are many, many dialects in China, they are still spoken, and many ladies know a number of them. And these so-called dialects are often completely different languages when spoken. But most of the under 50 crowd will know Mandarin, which is a good thing.

raymond-:
the lady i'm currently focusing on speaks 3 dialects, and I, 2.  despite this, none connect to allow us to
communicate directly so we still require the use of the agency's translator.  somewhat amusing

David5o:
Nik,

I think i should be calling them languages, because what i'm talking about is much more than just a dialect.
Yes your right, there any many dialects, virtually every town had it own dialect, but all based on one of the 4 main languages.....  No, the dialects are not different languages, not unless that dialect is based on one of the other 3 main languages   Wow!! All this can start sounding very confusing !!   lol !!

David....

Oiler1:
I grew up speaking the Taishanese (Toi San in Cantonese, Hoi San in orginal Hoisan dialect). In those days in Canada, almost all the Chinese spoke this rural dialect because they were the first ones to immigrate to North America in large numbers. Now, it is a dying language spoken mainly by older people. In the good old days you were forced to learn this dialect else you don't get served in restaurants etc.

In my experience I have talked to people who spoke Cantonese, Mandarin (Putonghua), Fukienese, Shanghainese. A lot of overseas Chinese still speak Cantonese. When I was in New York people spoke Cantonese a lot. A lot of people still speak Taisanese in North America. Chinese in the Philippines speak Fukienese I believe. Cantonese is spoken in Hong Kong, Macau  mainly but I heard it spoken in Beijing by some mainland visitors too.

You would think in Guangdong province most people would still speak Cantonese or at least know about it if they were born there. It seems on Chnlove al ot of women have moved to that province for a better job prospect. I have yet to write to a native Cantonese speaker from there which I find a bit unusual.

If you know how to write Chinese characters, most educated people should understand it whether it is the traditional or simplified characters.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version