Crosses the weaving maiden.
A night of rendezvous,
Across the autumn sky.
Surpasses joy on earth.
Moments of tender love and dream,
So sad to leave the magpie bridge.
Eternal love between us two,
Shall withstand the time apart.

On the evening of the seventh day of the seventh month on the Chinese lunar calendar, don't forget to look carefully at the summer sky. You'll find the Cowherd (a bright star in the constellation Aquila, west of the Milky Way) and the Weaving Maid (the star Vega, east of the Milky Way) appear closer together than at any other time of the year. Chinese believe the stars are lovers who are permitted to meet by the queen of Heaven once a year. That day falls on the double seventh (Qixi in Chinese), which is China's own Valentine's Day.

http://www.herongyang.com/chinese/festivals/chinese_valentine.html

Neil:
Thank you for that Mark.  I will be in Zhongshan on the 18th of August.  I chose that date because it's my sweetheart's birthday on the 26th.  I had no idea it was Valentines day as well!  :cool:

RobertBfrom aust:
Thanks to you Mark more brownie points as I told my Ying we would do something special on Valentines Day , she immediately thought of our western 2 / 14 / 2010 and I was able to correct her to her own day as we will be together from August 14 for a couple of weeks .

UK Mark:
Hope i told you guys right .. ive just seen another website saying Chinese Valentines day is Aug 26th .. Its all to do with the 7th day of the 7th lunar month

Irishman:
Yes, i read that it was the 26th of the month also.
I'll be there with Ling so hope to pop the question on that day, schh don't tell anyone ;)
Anyone know how to say "will you marry me?" in Mandarin?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version