Author Topic: Gifts for family?  (Read 7126 times)

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
RE: Gifts for family?
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2009, 03:39:20 pm »
Thanks mustfocus, I'm gonna ask Sunny if she knows any brands tomorrow when I am talking to her now i know what its called in Chinese.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 03:39:36 pm by Irishman »
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline RegnisTheGreat

• www.secretasianman.ca
    • http://www.secretasianman.ca
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2009, 12:25:00 am »
This is the usual brand I get when I come back from China. I usually pick it up in Shanghai though.

As I said bringing food into China or out of China is not a problem as long as you follow the following two rules:
1) COOKED (jerky is cooked).
2) SEALED (Like the packages I have above which are sealed. If you buy the unsealed ones in a plastic bag they will probably take it at customs, but if is sealed it usually is OK).

What I usually bring to China is: Ice Wine, Vitamins Pills, Cod Liver Oil, Good Chocolates, and Maple Syrup
What I bring from China: Beef and Pork Jerky, and other tasty snacks..

P.S. Those two packages did not survive long after the photo.. they were rapidly consumed for the greater good
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 07:30:43 am by Vince G »

brett

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2009, 05:00:58 am »
Cod Liver Oil? Wow, I never thought of that.

But chocolates are a big win - I keep sending over boxes of the things and my lady takes them to share at parties and stuff :icon_cheesygrin:.

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2009, 11:37:36 am »
Super, thanks Regnis!
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline RegnisTheGreat

• www.secretasianman.ca
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2009, 11:55:16 am »
brett

I know I asked the same question 'Cod Liver Oil' the first time? I hated that stuff as a kid. But mufti-vitamins (and cod liver oil is similar) is popular in China as a gift. The multi-vitamins is good for your health. They consider the western made ones superior in quality (after some of the fake medicine scams).

Offline zook144

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2009, 11:47:29 pm »
Well guys, my lady received my package today. There was a thread here
somewhere about mailing gifts, but I couldn't find it. So I will post this here. I sent it out Saturday by the Postal Service and she received it today. Not bad.  I sent it Express International and it wasn't cheap, but i wanted them to receive it by Christmas. About 5 days. That is what USPS said it would take. Didn't really believe them (and I work for them..haha) but they were right. I think it was $53 US to send it. But it was worth it to see her smile when she opened it. Our first webcam tonight to watch her open her package.  I think she loved what I sent.  Scarf, gloves, chocolates, lotion and perfume. And a picture book of the Blue Ridge Mountains where I live. For her daughter (who is 10) I sent some other chocolate candies, hair barets, Hello Kitty socks, and a volleyball t-shirt. (she's into volleyball). I think she liked those also. All in All a great evening chat. About 2 hours. I'm blown away by her beauty. I'll go to bed a happy man.  Plan on visiting in March.
Don
The Journey Is The Destination

Offline Voiceroveip

• Frank for you
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2009, 04:30:40 pm »
Just a head's up, I got negative feedback on perfume twice, and it was expensive stuff (Chanel), so don't waste your money, it usually won't get used, unless as a regift ...
Go deep or don't go

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2009, 04:45:23 pm »
Quote from: 'Voiceroveip' pid='26056' dateline='1261344640'

Just a head's up, I got negative feedback on perfume twice, and it was expensive stuff (Chanel), so don't waste your money, it usually won't get used, unless as a regift ...

Thanks Voice...you just saved me a lotta money :icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:

David

Offline Danny

« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2009, 07:24:14 pm »
Voice

Yes, that's my impression about perfume too. My woman didn't even know how to use the stuff. She asked me, "Do I wear it on my clothes or on my skin?" I told her that you mostly wear it on the skin, but if you are like my daughter, you also wear it on your clothes when you are going out and you're wearing clothes from the dirty washing basket *laughs*

Chocolates and health products (multivitamins and royal jelly capsules), on the other hand, have been a big success.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 07:24:48 pm by Danny »

Offline RegnisTheGreat

• www.secretasianman.ca
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2009, 07:32:41 pm »
Exactly Danny, chocolates and health products are a huge win.

Every-time I go back, the 'Centrium Multi-Vitamins' are a huge hit.

brett

« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2009, 05:33:57 am »
I can't say that my lady uses perfume either, although she does smell nice. Maybe it's her diet of fruit. She does buy a lot of cosmetics (she was buying some online the other day), but what they are I don't yet know.

I'll have to take some vitamins next time, although chocolates and things that can be shared and taken to parties are epic win.

Offline Voiceroveip

• Frank for you
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2009, 04:10:33 pm »
Good point Brett, cosmetics, actually skin cream or care kits work really well. Body Shop seems popular, Nivea too.
Go deep or don't go

Offline jeffm

« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2010, 11:53:54 pm »
I finally found this thread on page 3. I remember reading it a while back.  There were excellent ideas in it.  At the time I was still in search  mode, but I knew I wanted to come back for the ideas.  I need to take some things next time to her parents, so this thread is spot on with the ideas.
It's funny some of you mention to forget the perfume, but before I left last time I asked Gina and the first thing she  said was perfume.  I brought her a Victoria Secret bottle when I arrived, and she liked it so much she wanted another on my next visit.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 12:14:17 am by jeffm »
Watch what people do not what they say

ttwjr32

« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2010, 11:20:16 am »
i see the centrum multi vitamins all over GZ in the supermarkets
 little pricey just like the chocolate

Offline Okie_Rob

• ???
Re: Gifts for family?
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2010, 12:22:09 am »
"Chocolates and candy are dandy ... but liqueur is quicker" ... ha ha.
Perfume brought in from outside of China ... is better quality than one one can purchase in China .. so I was informed
by my future wife and her translator.  They did want the USA pefumes.  I did notice also, they had limited body lotions in China.  I was shopping in Shenzhen, which one would think would have an great selection, but was very limited.  In a Wal-Mart, Shenzhen, I found a better selection of body lotion, but about 1/8 of isle display.  Now Shampoo and Conditioner.... 3 isle displays.... I never knew there could be so many hair products ...., but here is a lot of hair in China .... I did find limited vitamins in China, and they were quite expensive as compared to
to USA cost. 
"USA, Wise Up!"  "美国,明智了! " "China has" " 中国有"