Author Topic: Shenzhen Express ... the final act  (Read 26954 times)

Offline jeffm

RE: Shenzhen Express ... the final act
« Reply #180 on: January 22, 2010, 07:31:38 pm »
Frank my advice would be to not let the others go just yet.  At least not until you meet this one, and even then I would give it just a little while.  Confirm it more until you cut ties with the others.  It's just being wise not deceitful.  The trip is too long and costly to not cover yourself.  That's just my opinion.  In addition my ex was 23, and what I've come to learn from her and others the same age range is that they can be fickle.  Kind of like a rollar coaster.  Their minds are not totally settled yet, and they are in their prime as far as Chinese standards go, so they get hit on by the Chinese guys too, and then you have the family issues.  What she might want is not necessarily what the family wants.  Most seem to buckle under family pressure at that age.  There many upsides too. My ex was working in my company, so it was perfect for me, so I know where you are coming from.  She was an English major, and would have fit perfectly with the business I'm doing in China.  Let it play out more.
Watch what people do not what they say

Offline Voiceroveip

• Frank for you
« Reply #181 on: January 22, 2010, 08:02:04 pm »
Jeff, I was certainly fickle at that age. I met a 23 year old French girl at a friend's dinner party, very attractive. She was all over me and we spent most of the evening getting to know each other ... and although she was sweet and smart I let it be, the age difference was just too great I guess and this was over 2 years ago, wow time flies actually. I already asked her about what her parents would think, she said they would be happy if she is happy, either very modern parents (who could be close to my age), or wishful thinking ... hmm

There is a good Chinese to English online translation tool, it was mentioned on the forum, does anyone remember where I can find it? The one with Chinese user interface ....
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 08:06:26 pm by Voiceroveip »
Go deep or don't go

rockycoon

« Reply #182 on: January 23, 2010, 11:55:42 am »
Frank,  Just remember, if it's too good to believe, it just might be.  
Be careful about the age difference, it could boomerang back on you.  Talk to the older lady's as they seem to have there heads screwed on better.  And best of wishes to you, glad to see your out of your funk and back on the road to happiness.

Offline jeffm

« Reply #183 on: January 23, 2010, 01:10:50 pm »
Quote from: 'Voiceroveip' pid='29065' dateline='1264208524'

Jeff, I was certainly fickle at that age. I met a 23 year old French girl at a friend's dinner party, very attractive. She was all over me and we spent most of the evening getting to know each other ... and although she was sweet and smart I let it be, the age difference was just too great I guess and this was over 2 years ago, wow time flies actually. I already asked her about what her parents would think, she said they would be happy if she is happy, either very modern parents (who could be close to my age), or wishful thinking ... hmm

There is a good Chinese to English online translation tool, it was mentioned on the forum, does anyone remember where I can find it? The one with Chinese user interface ....

Frank

Wishful thinking.  I am not trying to be negative, but my advice is go with that first, so you are not surprised if all of a sudden one day that what it turns out to be.  I asked the same exact thing Frank, and got the same exact answer.  When push comes to shove the girl will buckle under family and friend pressure more times than not. They also very much care of their reputation and the family's reputation in their own neighborhood believe it or not. It's a face thing.  Having said that go with it and let it play out.  You never know, but most of the women that age are in no hurry.  The answer I typically get is 1 1/2 to 2 years before they would feel good about getting married.  I've talked to many in that age group, and have talked to other Chinese both men and women alike about how the younger ones think.  Now if you're in no hurry then it isn't an issue.  That's my two cents.  I'm not an expert, but just going on what I've learned in being in a serious relationship with one and corresponding with many in their early to mid-twenties.  Early for me is 23/24. I don't go younger than that lol.  These women are late bloomers socially, as compared to women in the west at that age.  As much as my ex was mature in many ways she would also show an immaturity of an 18 or 19 year old.  I didn't let that bother me, as I believed she would grow out of it eventually and maybe sooner by being with me awhile.  I still believe that can be the case in a similar situation.  Personally I don't want to wait so long, because it is taking precious time and energy away from by business.  Plus I factor in once the deal is done then the several month wait to get into the U.S..  Maybe France has a shorter time period for that.  I don't know.  

I agree and I too was fickle at that age.  I was patient with my relationship, because that is how I thought too, and would still be my approach.  I was fine with the flashes of immaturity.  I remember some things I said and did at that age that were crazy  when I looked back on it.  You know it's funny Frank there are similarities in our experiences lol.  When I started this process in China I didn't talk to any of the women below 28 at the youngest.  Then I fell in love with a translator who was 23.  Technically 22 at the time and graduating from a university. It took us both totally by surprise. How many times have you heard of how some couples ended up together.  By surprise and least expected.  That was our situation.  We just had this chemistry that I can't explain.  Her parents had money so I knew she wasn't after me for that.   It took me several weeks to get the thought out of my mind of what will people think if I brought someone that young back to the U.S.. I mean I have a bit of a reputation to uphold was my thought at the time.  I am a President of degree granting colleges, and most of my students are that age.  It was too weird for me, but certain people whose opinion I value including one of my teachers is married to a women 26 years younger then he and they get along great.  His advice and another with a wife with that gap of age helped me overcome the thought I had. Those two guys really helped me.   From that point on I  was okay with the idea.  But I digress lol.  

I  am not saying by any means it won't work.  I think it can, just buckle up and hold on for the ride, because their minds will be all over the place.  The way I looked at it was it will keep me young and on my toes lol.

Offline Voiceroveip

• Frank for you
« Reply #184 on: January 23, 2010, 03:30:04 pm »
Thanks for the insight Jeff, but you didn't finish your story ... what happened with the translator? :icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 03:30:13 pm by Voiceroveip »
Go deep or don't go

Offline jeffm

« Reply #185 on: January 24, 2010, 09:36:13 am »
Oh you mean my ex? lol.  I'll fall on my sword and say it was all my fault.
Actually Frank if you are in Shenzhen then we can sit down with a coffee/wine/beer and I'll give you details.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 09:40:39 am by jeffm »

Offline Voiceroveip

• Frank for you
« Reply #186 on: January 24, 2010, 01:07:54 pm »
Quote from: 'jeffm' pid='29168' dateline='1264343773'

Actually Frank if you are in Shenzhen then we can sit down with a coffee/wine/beer and I'll give you details.

I will be, but only from February 6th ... how long are you there?
Go deep or don't go

Offline jeffm

« Reply #187 on: January 24, 2010, 02:23:04 pm »
Quote from: 'Voiceroveip' pid='29187' dateline='1264356474'

Quote from: 'jeffm' pid='29168' dateline='1264343773'

I will be, but only from February 6th ... how long are you there?

Until Feb 14th, but only because I have a legal issue to address, but will return at the end of Feb.  How long will you be here?

Offline Voiceroveip

• Frank for you
« Reply #188 on: January 24, 2010, 02:42:11 pm »
I guess from Feb 6th until the 12th or so. So if you're still there we can meet up for sure :icon_cool:

Where are you staying?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 02:42:43 pm by Voiceroveip »
Go deep or don't go

Offline jeffm

« Reply #189 on: January 24, 2010, 04:22:00 pm »
In the Futian District at the Four Points Sheraton. I ran into my brother in the lobby right after check-in who I haven't seen in over 3 years.  Incredible of all places it is China.  There's got to be a message in there somewhere lol.   I found out they have apartments here and looked at about six of them.  One of the issues to address while here is to find a place to live.  I was going to look in Nan-Shan, but I like the apartments here and have already met a couple of ex-pats here living in the apartments. We'll see.

Offline Voiceroveip

• Frank for you
« Reply #190 on: January 24, 2010, 05:13:52 pm »
From what I hear Shekou seems to be the popular expat area ... Nanshan would be cheaper than Futian ... I stayed there but it felt a little far from everything except Window of the World. :p

I'll probably stay somewhere in Luohu this time, my business will not support Sheraton right now (did I just admit I was expensing this trip? :icon_cheesygrin:), sales are pretty poor the last few months so I'll "slum it". The Sheraton is right up the street from Carrefour supermarket right, a black building?

PS: wow jet lag?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 05:16:29 pm by Voiceroveip »
Go deep or don't go

ttwjr32

« Reply #191 on: January 24, 2010, 06:19:43 pm »
drinks are on Frank, he is expensing them so the more we drink
his expenses will be greater to offset his tax liability

Offline Voiceroveip

• Frank for you
« Reply #192 on: January 24, 2010, 07:43:41 pm »
haha I'm not coming to Guangzhou, you're going to drink my new venture into the ground :icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:
Go deep or don't go

Offline jeffm

« Reply #193 on: January 24, 2010, 09:14:23 pm »
Quote from: 'Voiceroveip' pid='29196' dateline='1264371232'

From what I hear Shekou seems to be the popular expat area ... Nanshan would be cheaper than Futian ... I stayed there but it felt a little far from everything except Window of the World. :p

I'll probably stay somewhere in Luohu this time, my business will not support Sheraton right now (did I just admit I was expensing this trip? :icon_cheesygrin:), sales are pretty poor the last few months so I'll "slum it". The Sheraton is right up the street from Carrefour supermarket right, a black building?

PS: wow jet lag?

I was living in Shekou in August.  Yes more expats there, but it became boring for some reason.  I thought it was me until I was talking to a French guy at the airport yesterday.  He lived there too, and said he felt it got boring.  There is more action in Futian, NanShan (where he lives now), and Luohu.  More opportunities for business contacts.  Yes NanShan is cheaper than Futian.

I only picked Sheraton this time, because I wasn't in the mood for hunting around for the best deal and it being a nice stay.  I just came from Nanning where it rained day and night and my feet were soaked for three days straight.  I'm amazed I didn't get sick, and had to change my socks twice a day and hang my shoes next to the heating vent.  I went for the easy choice this time.  If I didn't I wouldn't have run into my brother.  For some strange reason I was supposed to run into him.  I haven't seen him in over three years.  It's funny how life will present you will surprises like that.  As the Chinese say it was fate that I chose Sheraton this time.  Also I was able to look at their apartments.

No this Sheraton is about 5 minutes away.  I thought I was going to that one also, and we pulled up, but found out it was the four points Sheraton. About 60 stories high. Can't miss it.  Both are close to each other.  The black building Sheraton is even more expensive, and I almost switched until I was told the price difference, so I went back to the other, and then ran into my brother lol.,

ttwjr32

« Reply #194 on: January 25, 2010, 11:26:03 am »
Frank,
dont worry you dont have to be there. just give us some info on your company
and we will have them bill you for the drinks. our contribution to lower your tax
bill with the extensive writeoff for your taxes.