Author Topic: Buying a new laptop..any suggestions ??  (Read 7328 times)

David5o

RE: Buying a new laptop..any suggestions ??
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2010, 05:17:50 pm »
rockycoon,

A lot of the agencies use photo studio's, (and there just about on every street corner over there). If the lady is naturally pretty, they will maybe touch up bits and bob's in-house.

Hahaha!!, you'ld be amazed at what some of these photo studio's can do to a lady's photo. Somewhere on the treads here there is 2 photo's of Willy's original lady. One of them from the agency profile and the other taken in normal circumstances. If you want a good idea of what can be done to a photo in the way of photoshopping, then look at these two photo's, and see if you would say, ...they are the same lady!!!!  

David.....

Vince G

« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2010, 07:02:43 pm »
Just wanted to show different effects they have. Most of it I never use. I guess if your some kind of artist and wanted that water effect? (middle photo) then it's good, but me? I like real photos that you can see is the subject.

For instance the profile photo of me was taken with a cheap crappy camera and the photo was very grainy, also larger there's a buddy from high school standing next to me. I took it and cleaned it up . But it loses sharpness for it?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 07:05:55 pm by Vince G »

shaun

« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2010, 08:40:48 pm »
Quote from: 'Vince G' pid='32241' dateline='1266779997'

Rocky, I think you watch to much TV/movies. No program just changes the photo. You have to do it and know all the tools needed to do t it too. It's a whole library of filters, masks, color adjustments and layers. I've been at it for ten years and still learning. But if anything get the program I think it's called CS Elements? I'm putting pic of the Photoshop window. Notice the menu and the tools on the left. Each tool has a submenu to more tools. Each menu submenu has between 3 to 12 things you can do. I'll put your pic here to with a few different filters.

I have to say that picture #2 is a vast improvement.  Can it run like that real time?  Don might be able to catch a few honeys like that. :angel:

Shaun

rockycoon

« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2010, 09:02:27 pm »
Photo realities:  The guy to Vinces right is holding a gun, the person who is taking the picture is his naked
wife, that is why Vince is smiling...:icon_cheesygrin:

Thanks Shaun, I think #2 makes me look better also...don't know if I can hold off the women with that one
:icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:

By the way, I found a qq web site, but didn't look like the
real thing and had an african web address for downloading
it from..."red light"  Any one got a decent web address for the
orginal or safe download?
By the way, according to the "african connection" qq does not
work with window's 7 only xt and 2000 versions.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 09:07:08 pm by rockycoon »

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2010, 09:11:41 pm »
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

rockycoon

« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2010, 10:07:38 pm »
give me some time to set it up and figure out how to use the damn thing...haha
By the way, did I say Thanks a bunch...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 10:08:16 pm by rockycoon »

Vince G

« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2010, 10:53:39 pm »
Wow!!! That was easy? With all the crap I went through trying to fix the problem of "Can't sign in?" I just re-registered got a new number and that's it. No deleting the program and reinstalling it?

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2010, 09:50:25 pm »
Sorry go nothing to say on this but thought I would put something on the last thread even if it was just to say Ni Hao!!!

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

ttwjr32

« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2010, 10:47:34 pm »
im still waiting if someone would post a good list of what i should look for in a new laptop
to buy

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2010, 11:10:00 pm »
Hey Ted,

Depends on if you're going with a consumer level notebook or a business class notebook.  Since you're in China, I'd probably go Lenovo.  RAM, 4Gb or more... Hard Drive... 250 should be enough...just remember to get an external hard drive to back up your data...  Wireless is good...beyond that, it's really up to you...stick with Intel CPU if you can.
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

ttwjr32

« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2010, 11:28:05 pm »
thanks

rockycoon

« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2010, 12:13:16 am »
Ted, I got a HP and it's great, comes with 250 gig hard drive, very wide screen, windows 7, full keyboard, got a
nifty button to shut down the mouse touch pad so you can run a wireless mouse (which it does well), got
4 gig of memory upgradeable to 8 gig, bells-buttons-whistles for everything, what a machine.  The guys turned
me onto it. Checked it out and was amazed.  Boot-up time is non-existant, got ton's of protection with it, and
the sound ain't to shabby.  It's also got a blue-ray drive that plays and records regular cd/dvd's, and also the
blue-ray disks (although I haven't played with this feature much.   The machine didn't cost that much and also
got wireless mouse, printer, cables and a few other goodies, all for about a grand here in US.
Probably a lot cheaper there.  It's a HP Pavilion DV7-3165 DX.   Go check one out before buying anything, and
I think you'll be pleased.

Offline JimB

• http://www.jandyenterprises.com
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2010, 12:18:16 am »
Rocky, I like the international version of QQ the best.  It allows you to put real pics in it as your photo.  I have a pic of myself, my wife and step daughter in it.
Maxx's 24 hour rule, learn it, live it.

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2010, 01:44:32 am »
http://www.imqq.com  Yeah, that's the link you want to use.  It's free, and easy to set up.  

I installed skype last night.  Damn that's a slick program.  You can make the first phone call for free, so I phoned Nina's cell phone.  I could hear her fine and she could hear me, just like a regular phone call.  I'm not sure what the price would be, but I would imagine the calls are dirt cheap compared to regular long distance direct calls.
Ted, don't worry too much about specs.  Decide on a price range you want to spend, find a company you can trust to not rip you off by selling you garbage, and that will repair or replace it if there are problems.  Then make sure it has a webcam built in.  Don't buy the cheapest machine and don't buy the most expensive.  Stick to your price range.  

I bought my laptop in Future Shop.  I set my price at $800 and found the best of the $800 models.  It is fast, stable and has a great camera so I can see Nina.  They had the laptops on display so you could use them and compare responsiveness.  Lift them, use them and open and close the lid.  Pay attention to quality.  If it looks cheap, flimsy or low quality, go with your gut and skip it.  Try the keyboard - you'll be typing a lot.  I used my brother's laptop one night and was disgusted with the keyboard.  If the salesmen aren't helpful, go somewhere else.  

If you're buying online, stick with reputable companies like Dell.  I've owned 3 dells and never had problems.  

Oh, Mustfocus has a good point about the cpu.  Intel is good.  Intel and AMD both make low end mobile chips that absolutely stink.  Used to be called Celeron from Intel, I'm not sure what they're called now, but skip that.  Quad core, dual core are good choices for multitasking, but you get what you pay for.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 02:01:18 am by Neil »
...as irresistible as chocolate

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2010, 08:42:20 pm »
I think Skype is good value.  Free chatting computer to computer with webcam as well and it will find you wherever you are in the world.

I also have mine set up so I can make calls to any landline phone in the UK and anyone can ring a London number and it comes through to me in China.   Good for business and good value at 35.oo a year.  And the sound is crystal clear.

I can make calls to anywhere in the world to cell phones at low prices but have to buy credit for that first.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,