Author Topic: RESIDENT VISA'S HERE IN CHINA  (Read 2724 times)

ttwjr32

RESIDENT VISA'S HERE IN CHINA
« on: August 10, 2010, 04:24:27 am »
Ok to clear evrything up on this topic as i just completed mine today. To apply for a resident visa for 6 months you just need to go to
the PSB building fill out the papers and submit your passport.

for a 1 year one you need to get a medical here and they will tell you were to go as you cant just go anywere cost 448 rmb then you take that with all your papers to the PSB building and submit  cost 800 rmb

you will need your marriage book, ladies i d card her house book, and the original police station residency paper that you have. if your renting or staying in a hotel or hostel then that registration will do also just ask them and they will provide it.

2 year visa's are only good for people over 60 years of age

after 5 years of staying here then you get the 10 year one

thats the scoop straight from the horses mouth on the procedure so if the internet says something else DISREGARD IT because this is what they are requiring

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
Re: RESIDENT VISA'S HERE IN CHINA
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 07:09:58 am »
Just to confuse matters further.

I went to the PSB in Zhongshan today.  I had previouly been to Guangzhou last week when I was told that I could have a 6 month visa without a medical and a longer one if I had a medical report.

Anyway went to Zhonshan PSB and met another man  officer - I filled out all the paerwork and handed it to him andleft the length of time blank. 

I had been told I could only have a 3 month visa. when I went there ealier this week. 

After he completed his computer record and was printing out my receipt I asked him how long he had given me.  I year with multi entries he said.   I could not belive this but there istis on the receipt 1 year and the cost is 1403 rmb plus no medical needed.

Same  province different options. Same office different options.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Vince G

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 10:12:47 am »
A man after my own heart, most of what I do is like this. Is it luck? Who knows?

Paul Todd

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 10:20:05 am »
Just to clear things up. Is what you have an extended "L" visa Ted? does it say "L" on the visa sticker in your passport ?

Offline Lain

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 03:16:19 pm »
My understanding is that these "variables" are due to one of two major factors.

1) What type of visa are yo currently in China on ?? AND what is the length (multi-entry) ??

2) Are you living in China as a single...or married person ??

From what my investigations have reveled, a person who is SINGLE on a TOURIST Visa will most likely never get a full 1 year residence permit. A person who is MARRIED (Chinese wife) on a Work Visa, or Business Visa will in most cases get a 12 month Permit .... as noted with a health exam.

As I noted in my thread on the subject the major variable is WHERE in China you are living as EACH and EVERY city and province seems to have its own ability to allow or deny for any reasons any permits.

This is why I obtained a copy of the actual permit for my PSB, and had my man on the ground inquire directly. I had only a desire for getting a 6 month permit myself, but may in fact pony up the extra cash and try for the full year....whats the worst that could happen, they only give me a 6-month permit? OK, I know they could simply deny my request completely....but going on a business visa I think it unlikely?

Either way. The ONLY rule about the permit is that there is NO standard across the country and each and every PSB in every city can essentially do as it pleases.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 03:28:46 pm by Lain »

ttwjr32

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 06:17:31 pm »
they took my passport so i will see what type it is and if in fact it is a extended l visa  never really looked at that but was only
charged 800 rmb  so maybe it is different in each office which is another bizare happening here in china as the right do something
completely different from the left   which i guess explains the state of confusion and disorder that is quite the norm here

Paul Todd

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 11:11:56 pm »
Ok to be absolutely clear on this. If you are married to a Chinese national and are a mere mortal then you get an extended L visa for 6,12 or 24 months depending on the whim of the PSB officer you see on the day. The L visa is not a Residence visa/permit, they are completely different things. To get a residence permit you must first have a Foreign experts Certificate or a little blue book. To call the extended L visa a residents visa is misleading to everyone reading this , so I think we should clear this point up. The L visa gives you the right to stay in China for the length of the visa but it does not give you the right to work in China. The Residence permit/ visa gives you the right to work and pay tax's just like a Chinese citizen. If you enter on a business visa you may get an extended stay but I do not think you would get a Residence permit without serious investment. Lain, I will watch your progress with interest.
If you have lived and paid tax's here for 5 years then you can apply for a 10 year visa at your local PSB. They do not issue it but must forward a recommendation for you to the central office in Beijing who control all 10 year visa's. They then decide who gets it, serious contacts are required for this.Watch this space it may well change in the next few years, lets hope so!

Offline Jimmy

• Soon the Family will be Complete.
  • She Was A Wonderful Wife
    • Jim N Libo
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 01:23:34 am »
Ok to be absolutely clear on this. If you are married to a Chinese national and are a mere mortal then you get an extended L visa for 6,12 or 24 months depending on the whim of the PSB officer you see on the day. The L visa is not a Residence visa/permit, they are completely different things. To get a residence permit you must first have a Foreign experts Certificate or a little blue book. To call the extended L visa a residents visa is misleading to everyone reading this , so I think we should clear this point up. The L visa gives you the right to stay in China for the length of the visa but it does not give you the right to work in China. The Residence permit/ visa gives you the right to work and pay tax's just like a Chinese citizen. If you enter on a business visa you may get an extended stay but I do not think you would get a Residence permit without serious investment. Lain, I will watch your progress with interest.
If you have lived and paid tax's here for 5 years then you can apply for a 10 year visa at your local PSB. They do not issue it but must forward a recommendation for you to the central office in Beijing who control all 10 year visa's. They then decide who gets it, serious contacts are required for this.Watch this space it may well change in the next few years, lets hope so!

For my 24 month Visa it was not a whim I had to request it. Also had to prove I had a Chinese wife. Sent my Red Book. I didn't see the point but they also ask for a letter of invitation from my Chinese relative, So I had my wife write me a quick little letter inviting me to come home. And I got it with no problem. I paid the service like $40 bucks to do it all for me, Well worth it. It would have cost me twice that in gas to drive to San Francisco. I got here June 24 so as long as I leave and re-enter  the country. Before Christmas Eve I'm in pretty good shape.  //// 6 months is 6 months didn't see the need for the permit. Other than it says resident on it. What is the additional benefit to the resident permit?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 01:36:20 am by Jimmy »
Jimmy Henson

ttwjr32

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 02:18:50 am »
actually not the resident visa but an l visa good for a period of time and you dont have to leave china at
anytime while you have it but you do have the option to leave if you want and come back

ttwjr32

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 02:29:40 am »
also another point it seems like it is different whever you live in china. i have the form for my permit for residency she gave me that
for my info so maybe guangzhou with their automonuos govt has different things? i dont know because it seems people get different
ones in different areas  she also said with my wife being a city citizen this is why i could apply.  now that just amazes me because its
like they are saying she is better than someone who isnt a city citizen and why should that be her having the different things allowed??

and you wonder why there is corruption  makes it easy i suppose

Paul Todd

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 07:23:35 am »
Hello Jimmy,
I was talking about the officers at the PSB over here and not the states. I think maybe in the US they abide by the rules more instead of making it up as they go along or as there whim's direct them  ;)
With the residents permit you have the right to work and you get extra legal protection and customs allowances.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 07:27:47 am by Paul Todd »

Offline Jimmy

• Jim N Libo
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 09:36:36 am »
Well finally this is all good to know. I'm not planning on working while I'm here. And when we leave, my wife and I are going to actually leave a ton of stuff behind. We aren't even going to take all of the computers. Probably give them away.
But it is good to know if I did decide to work what I need to do.
By the way what would happen to a guy if he were working without it?   You do something for someone they give you money. Kind of hard to track isn't it?
Jimmy Henson

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 10:23:54 am »
My understanding is that these "variables" are due to one of two major factors.

1) What type of visa are yo currently in China on ?? AND what is the length (multi-entry) ??

2) Are you living in China as a single...or married person ??

From what my investigations have reveled, a person who is SINGLE on a TOURIST Visa will most likely never get a full 1 year residence permit. A person who is MARRIED (Chinese wife) on a Work Visa, or Business Visa will in most cases get a 12 month Permit .... as noted with a health exam.

As I noted in my thread on the subject the major variable is WHERE in China you are living as EACH and EVERY city and province seems to have its own ability to allow or deny for any reasons any permits.

This is why I obtained a copy of the actual permit for my PSB, and had my man on the ground inquire directly. I had only a desire for getting a 6 month permit myself, but may in fact pony up the extra cash and try for the full year....whats the worst that could happen, they only give me a 6-month permit? OK, I know they could simply deny my request completely....but going on a business visa I think it unlikely?

Either way. The ONLY rule about the permit is that there is NO standard across the country and each and every PSB in every city can essentially do as it pleases.
I tell you thefull true story as go.  I have due to receive a one year visa. Married yes. Do not know what classification it will be.

Obtaining a visa does not depend on which province you apply in it depends soley on the office that you attend and even more precise on the officer that attends to you at that office.

I have had five visas now,three issued in China.  They have all been different.  You cannot rely on anything you read or even get told by any officer as the next one will do something entirely different.
seems to me that which ever way a particular officer reads things then that is wjhat you are going to get.

I have even been to the office with the literature I received from another office but it cut no ice. 

Its a case of you deciding if the offer is good or not. So do not leave it to the last minute to make an application as you may have to put things off, like I did, to get a better offer from another officer on another day.

Willy

Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Jimmy

• Jim N Libo
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 10:48:35 am »
Wow my brother in Law is one of those officers. Maybe I should get one. I never knew how important he was.
He is in a different City that is nearby. Will this make a difference?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 10:50:16 am by Jimmy »
Jimmy Henson

Offline Lain

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 05:49:26 pm »
The Residence permit/ visa gives you the right to work and pay tax's just like a Chinese citizen.

WOW...I did not know that. This is good information to have, as you can be deported for even accepting payment for any work done in China.

Like I have said several times...I am taking small steps and I am not seeking the "Holy Grail" of permission to stay forever just yet. I have made a hard core commitment to myself that NO MATTER WHAT...I will tough it out for at very least 6 months..Then I will asses my situation and proceed with my plans. I have a road map for what I wish to do...but as it revolves around a relationship with a lady whom I care for a great deal, but still have little nagging questions about  I am just going to take it one day at a time for the first 6-months.