Author Topic: Gifts for family?  (Read 6917 times)

rcsingle1

Gifts for family?
« on: August 22, 2009, 04:49:44 pm »
Hi Everyone,

As some of you know, I am going in Dec to Beijing to get married to my beauty. I would like to bring some gifts to her family, but would appreciate some ideas on what would be nice gifts.
She has her mother and father, and a brother and sister who are both married, and a son who is 16yrs old. I was thinking of some Canadian souvenir items, but feel that might be kinda lame?? What did you guys do?
Am I also obligated to buy her parents gifts, or give them money (how much) when we get married?
RC

Offline Buzz

• XiuRu Zhang
RE: Gifts for family?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 05:41:44 pm »
Working on this issue as well.  There are two items that I found interesting that I am following and will pass them along for you to consider.
1. Since almost everything is made in China, look for local items.  I was going to take a bottle of Jim Beam and some American Smokes from the South here.  But since my ladies Uncle is 91 and does not smoke or drink changed to some hand made paper for him to do his artwork.  For the Aunt I selected some pottery that is made by local artist here in NC.  Selected American Honey, maple syrup from Maine, Chocolate from San Francisco (Ghirardelli Chocolate), and some needle work by ladies of the church.  Still looking for the others but this gives you and idea of where I am coming from.  
2.  When I was looking for the pottery, I had been doing some reading and was concerned that this color meant something, this shape meant something, and really any bit of information I could gather went into my selecting the perfect gift.  As I was explaining to the lady about my selection I must have mentioned, “it can’t be this” just one to many times for her.  Her response was when you add up all your “it can’t be’s” then it really 'can’t be much of a gift'.  Point heard.  There are items I am sure the brothers who have been in China and have been thru this will be able to expand upon, but select what has meaning to you and from your area.  Hope this helps.  Buzz

Offline Danny

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 06:01:07 pm »
I am only visiting in a few weeks time. But I think it is good to get stuff you can't get there.

For my woman's mother I got her Japanese green tea and some Turkish delights.
For my woman I got her some excellent Australian port, some white tea and some Australian nougat.
For my woman's son I got him a French puzzle game (with instructions in Chinese) and some American jelly beans.  

I know all these things are what they will enjoy, because she has mentioned what they enjoy drinking and eating in the past.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 06:02:43 pm by Danny »

Offline TomFisher

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 08:31:01 pm »
When I went the thing my 4 sister in-laws LOVED was western chocolate.  I bought a bunch of different chocolates and they all shared a little.  We had "gongfu tea" and the girls each had a little piece and smiled at me and chattered amongst themselves, very happily.

It seems all women love chocolate all over the world.  BTW, I bought some Chinese chocolates and while they are good there is a big difference from our chocolates.  

Just a thought...

Peace,

Tom

rcsingle1

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 11:18:20 pm »
Thanks so much for some of the ideas guys!!
I did some thinking this weekend, and came up with a few ideas. Let me know what you think.
All of these represent Canada I think:
Laura Secord Chocolates
Maple Syrup and/or maple candies
Icewine
Tim's Coffee (of course, if they drink coffee)
T-shirts with Canadian logos's
I'm trying to come up with a few other things
RC

Offline JimB

• http://www.jandyenterprises.com
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 02:25:12 am »
One thought for you is that they do not like sweet food except chocolate.  french perfume for the ladies, American made Marlboro's for the people who smoke.  A big bag of assorted candies for the kids.  I brought Yo yo's (Scott's Idea) and jacks.  Now Buzz, if you could get some shine from up near Boone.  That would be a winner. You see they can get all sorts of whiskey and beer here now.  Teenage girls like baseball hats.  Doesnt mater what is on them.  For a teen age girl, an ankle bracelet is a big deal.  Qingqing actually got excited about the one I brought her.  My wife sent me a list of things so everything from the above was a hit here. Even though they can get Zippo lighters here, the ones from the states are supposedly better.  I brought six of them.  One of my brothers in law is a doctor and he loved the marlboro's.  (I cant believe he smokes either)  Said they were the best gifts.  Here, most of the "Name Brands" are knockoffs.  No trade agreements in place so no licensing problems.  They reverse engneer a ton of things.  Even cars.  And speaking of which. The number 1 car on the street is the VW, then Honda and a couple of chinese brands. Then guess what. Buicks.  there are more Buicks on the road here than BMW's or Audies or Mercedes.  A few Chevy's and I have seen a couple of Cadillacs. I saw a Chinese duplicate of my G6 hardtop convertible.
Maxx's 24 hour rule, learn it, live it.

Offline zook144

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 06:00:17 pm »
Hello All,
Need a bit of help for Christmas gifts. I thought this would be a good thread to post the question. I need gifts for the lady, her 9 year old daughter, and maybe her Mother. (Not sure a gift for the mother is appropriate at this time) I thought i would go practical and buy something for cold weather since they live where it is cold. But, after I bought scarfs and gloves, I got to thinking...blah! Besides everything was made in China.:icon_rolleyes:  We are not at the stage where we are sure about anything. We are more or less off EMF's and waiting to meet (maybe in March).   I got some ideas from this thread, but anymore would be appreciated.  Thanks
Don
The Journey Is The Destination

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 06:12:45 pm »
RC...ask your lady about the money issue.  I asked Zhifang what was an appropriate amount to give her parents for marriage money.  She told me her parents did not want any money.  I brought this issue up several times, and was told the same thing every time.

As far as gifts, bring some for the family.  Don't expect them to look at them when you give them the gifts.  My father in law took his gifts, and put them in his bedroom to look at later.  It is not like here in Canada, when you give a gift, and people open them right away.

I have brought Mom and Dad chocolates from Canada, a bottle of wine from Canada, maple syrup, a bottle of Canadian whiskey, ginseng candies, and a picture book of Canada.  These gifts were over two different trips to China.  The picture book was a big highlight.  I would highly recommend this to anyone, to bring something like this from your home country.

As far as the bottle of wine went...they did not have a cork screw...so you might want to consider this as well.  I also bought a carton of Canadian cigarettes for her brother, since he smoked. (Get them cheaper at duty free)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 06:14:58 pm by Martin »

David5o

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 07:21:53 pm »
Martin.

I don't know if your Zhifang has been married before, but if she has, then i can quite understand her parents sentiments. They probably received a marriage RE from her previous husband and would have been happy to receive it from him. Now, they are only interested Zhifang's future happiness, they are happy that she is happy with you, and that's more than payment enough for them.

I can't really understand why some parents would want or expect a RE when there daughters has been previously married, probably over 30, and probably with children. They know full well that the chances of there daughters ever finding a Chinese husband are slim to non-existent. Like Zhifang's parents, they should be happy that they have found a man that they can see with there own eyes, ....makes there daughter ''Happy''!!!

Giving gifts is a totally different kettle of fish, Give her parents a special gift(s). It doesn't have to be too expensive, just something that they will want, or need, or just special to them. Now that, ...they will appreciate more than any RE....

David.....
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 07:25:49 pm by David5o »

Offline Ed W

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 07:54:06 pm »
I brought a bottle of Hennesey XO for her father, the 750ml which to this day he hasnt opened. My wife said they consider it too nice of gift. So it sits very well protected with the rest of the family's keepsakes. :s

My wifes daughter I brought some of those glowstick things but they're more like a bracelet for her wrist. I failed to see "Made in China" when I bought them before i went but her daughter loved em. I also got her some assorted stickers that she could put on this picture of a girl and the stickers were different styles of clothing. Her daughter is 9.

Mother I didnt get anything for since I had not a clue what to get her. I planned on taking her out shopping but my wife wouldnt allow it. She said it wasn't necessary.

I brought a bottle of Woodford Reserve Bourbon Whisky for her brother but he never got it. My wife wouldnt allow her parents to give it to him. (long story) So it sits at her parents house with the Hennesey.
Alright earthlings, what form do you want me to take?....How about a taco, ....that craps icecream?  My trip to china

Offline Buzz

• XiuRu Zhang
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 07:56:55 pm »
AS far as gifts go, make it local.  The best gifts were picture books of my state and local area.  A bit hit was if you can find a local outlet that makes the handmade soap.  Oatmeal and Honey, as well as Rose Soap were big sellers there.  All these items are sold in the higher end malls at outragous prices.  Take some beef jerky and if you can find it buffalo or other types of jerky.  As far and the drink and smokes,  fly China Air, you can buy a carton of smokes for $15 and the wine and burbon are very cheep.  All in all it is the thought and not the price that is most important.  

buzz

brett

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 04:14:35 am »
You can't go wrong with booze and ciggies. Something from your own country is always good. Be aware that in theory you can get in trouble with customs if you bring certain foods in :s.

I think I win gift of the year for taking tea to China :icon_cheesygrin:.

Paul Todd

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 10:54:38 pm »
Brett, don't forget the mustard and salt you took as well as tha tea!:huh: What where you thinking!!! :icon_cheesygrin: Sorry mate just couldn't resist it! you giving advice on gifts, well it was just to tempting!:icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:

Offline jeffm

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 06:06:53 am »
This is all news to me.

I thought you couldn't take chocolate and other foods into China.  Where will customs draw the line?  Anyone know?
Watch what people do not what they say

David5o

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2009, 06:31:14 am »
Jeff,

Any chocolate/sweets that is in it's original manufactures wrapping is fine for any countries customs, it's loose chocolate and sweets, the type you buy at the ''pick and mix'' that you may have problems with.....

David....