Author Topic: Gifts for family?  (Read 6916 times)

Offline Danny

RE: Gifts for family?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2009, 07:37:10 am »
One of the good ideas I came up with in discussions with my dear woman, was vitamin pills, royal jelly capsules and health tonics. To the mind of my dear woman's parents, medicine from the west is sometimes considered to be superior to that available locally. I think this is a good present because it implies a concern for their health, and the wish for their long life.

For children who are learning English, a book written in both English and Chinese may be a good idea, since it implies respect for both their language and the one they are learning. It avoids the embarrassment of giving a child a book in only English, that they are unable to understand. Similarly for an adult learning English, a book of poetry or fiction written in English and Chinese.

For children, colourful sweets, a variety of different types, is always well received. And for adults, good quality chocolate.

I do not wish to be contrary, but I think that buying cigarettes, when you yourself are a non-smoker, is not the best thing. I would not give cigarettes even to someone I disliked. I know that cigarettes would be received gratefully, but I just think that it is not such a good idea. That's my two cents on the matter.

In relation to the question of bringing food into China, I have had no problems, and heard of no-one having problems bringing in anything that is properly wrapped up.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 07:39:45 am by Danny »

Offline RegnisTheGreat

• www.secretasianman.ca
    • http://www.secretasianman.ca
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2009, 12:20:56 am »
Danny

Cigerttes isn't always for smoking. Its the grease of the Chinese economy. When you need some government work done fast, a few packs helps the wheel.

Bringing food is OK as long as its sealed.

Eg. Bag of Chips is OK. A head of lettuce is not. An open bottle of V8 is not, but an sealed one is OK.

Offline jeffm

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2009, 10:17:22 am »
Okay thanks.

Good to know
Watch what people do not what they say

Offline Ed W

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2009, 02:38:08 pm »
Quote from: 'Buzz' pid='25161' dateline='1260493015'

Take some beef jerky and if you can find it buffalo or other types of jerky.

On my first trip, somewhere between the plane the immigration, was a sign that said "No imported meat products allowed". I had stocked up on jerky for my own snacks so this made me a bit worried and i ditched the last of it in the trash. It's probably the biohazard aspect of it but might have also to do with processed vs raw. I dont know how jerky would be viewed.

Grant it, neither of my trip so far have they ever looked at my bags so you'd really need to judge how much risk your willing to take if you get it wrong? I'm not a gambler so I take the safe route.

BTW. That coin idea is awesome! I never would have throught of it. That's going on my list for future.
Alright earthlings, what form do you want me to take?....How about a taco, ....that craps icecream?  My trip to china

Offline Buzz

• XiuRu Zhang
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2009, 04:58:37 pm »
Quote from: 'Ed W.' pid='25448' dateline='1260733088'

Quote from: 'Buzz' pid='25161' dateline='1260493015'

Take some beef jerky and if you can find it buffalo or other types of jerky.

On my first trip, somewhere between the plane the immigration, was a sign that said "No imported meat products allowed".
BTW. That coin idea is awesome! I never would have throught of it. That's going on my list for future.

My thought was that the beef jerky was processed so I would be able to slide.  No inspection.  Money and coin idea is great, thanks.  buzz

rockycoon

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2009, 08:47:01 pm »
I know of a really welcomed gift that everybody loves including pres Regan.  If you can find them in a box take them JELLY BELLY jelly beans.  They are the best the world round, and come in flavors you would not believe and actually taste just exactly like what they are labeled.  I've had a lot of different beans but these are the world's finest and a very welcome gift and not expensive here.  You can get boxes of mixed ones that tell you what the are...excellent item !!!

ttwjr32

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2009, 10:56:53 pm »
they have a jelly belly store in Guangzhou that if you come
 here you could buy them here. its at the underground mall

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2009, 12:28:04 am »
Ted, have you been able to find beef jerky in Guangzhou?
I looked and they have many types of meat but never was able to figure out what was jerky (if anything) and was was tofu. I asked Sunny but she didn't know what jerky was and i couldn't find a Chinese translation.
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline RegnisTheGreat

• www.secretasianman.ca
    • http://www.secretasianman.ca
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2009, 12:33:41 am »
Ed W.

The trick to Jerky and all food is this: SEALED. As long as its sealed then its OK. By sealed I mean really sealed (think a twinkie or a bag of chips)  not like in a 'Glad Ziplock' bag. Then you're OK.

Every time I go to China I bring back like 5-10KG of beef and pork jerky. (OK, I am a jerky addict).

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2009, 12:45:51 am »
Quote from: 'Irishman' pid='25486' dateline='1260768484'

Ted, have you been able to find beef jerky in Guangzhou?
I looked and they have many types of meat but never was able to figure out what was jerky (if anything) and was was tofu. I asked Sunny but she didn't know what jerky was and i couldn't find a Chinese translation.

Show her: ?? or say rou gan (meat dried).  I've attached a photo below.  In South East Asia, the popular version is usually made from pork.  It's usually quite sweet.  There is a beef (? or niu) version, but I find it's usually too dry and tough and doesn't look very appealing.

(Thought I would add a link to chinese jerky) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bak_kwa
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 12:47:21 am by mustfocus »
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

rockycoon

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2009, 02:06:36 am »
How about "Dog Jerkey"  snicker lol :icon_cheesygrin:

But I'll stick with the Jelly-Belly's, tasty little nugguts of flavor....

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2009, 04:28:45 pm »
Quote from: 'mustfocus' pid='25488' dateline='1260769551'

Show her: ?? or say rou gan (meat dried).  I've attached a photo below.  In South East Asia, the popular version is usually made from pork.  It's usually quite sweet.  There is a beef (? or niu) version, but I find it's usually too dry and tough and doesn't look very appealing.

(Thought I would add a link to chinese jerky) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bak_kwa

You made my day ! Thanks, I'm really fond of jerky like Regnis and its the one thing  i really miss when there! I will show her that, thanks.
Regnis, is there a Chinese brand of (beef) jerky you recommend? Got any picture of what the packet looks like so I can look for it in the supermarket?
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2009, 06:51:34 pm »
Speaking of money to bring as a gift, I brought a lot of Canadian change with me on both my trips.  I was giving it to my wifes family, and also to children.  If you decide to take money as a gift, bring a lot.  By the end of my last trip, there were some family members who hadn't gotten any, and had really hoped to get some CDN money.  I had to start giving out some $20's.

I wasn't bringing money as a major gift...more something for people to have as a keep sake.  One little guy took his change to school, and showed his classmates some money that his Canadian uncle gave him.

ttwjr32

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2009, 08:42:30 pm »
irishman,
no i havent found any and i asked my family to ship some
of the jumbo bags over from usa.

i hope that regnis could show us the package so i can look
for it also in the stores.

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2009, 08:52:05 pm »
Quote from: 'Irishman' pid='25540' dateline='1260826125'

Quote from: 'mustfocus' pid='25488' dateline='1260769551'

You made my day ! Thanks, I'm really fond of jerky like Regnis and its the one thing  i really miss when there! I will show her that, thanks.
Regnis, is there a Chinese brand of (beef) jerky you recommend? Got any picture of what the packet looks like so I can look for it in the supermarket?

I think Regnis means he brings some from here (Canada).  I'm sure if you go to Hong Kong you could probably get some pork jerky.  Not sure what brands you would find there, but you might be able to get some Soo branded jerky from a supermarket there.  It's in all the asian supermarkets here.
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen