Author Topic: Teaching in China  (Read 4253 times)

Scottish_Rob

Teaching in China
« on: August 26, 2009, 11:06:32 am »
I want to put in this thread a 'Teaching Contract' that was sent to me, a couple of months ago..  I know from other sources that 'NOT' all contracts are the same, but this will give you a brief outline as to what is in them...
Hope it helps...

Party A: Jinan Foreign Language School
Jinan Foreign Language School Sanjian Branch
Jinan Foreign Language School Kaiyuan International

Party B:             
(Name of individual)      

This contract is issued in accordance with the regulations of and under the authority of The State Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs, of The People’s Republic of China. The contract will be lawfully effective upon the signatures of both parties. Both Party A and Party B agree on the following terms.

Party A will:
Be responsible for writing invitation letter and applying residence permit for one year for Party B to work in Jinan, China.

Sign the formal contract in accordance with the details of the contract signed with the Chinese state Administration and the complementary terms of the contract signed with JFLS. The contract starts from September 1st to the following June 30th.

3.  Provide one round-trip ticket (economy class) for Party B who has signed the one-year contract. Pay Party B one-way airfare (direct flight from the exit city of home country to entry city of China onto Jinan.) in RMB cash at arrival and on condition that Party B finishes teaching the first semester. At the end of the school year, Party A will buy Party B’s return tickets (no cash will be offered) for his/her trip from Jinan to China exit city onto the entry city of his/her home country.  
Provide one-way ticket (economy class) for Party B who has signed six-month contract. The way of ticketing condition is the same as above.

Provide Party B, at no cost, an apartment including a bedroom, a small dining area, a living room and Western style bathroom. The apartment shall be equipped with a TV set, an air-conditioner, a refrigerator, a microwave, an electric heated shower, and a water-Filtration system.

A computer with internet service is provided free of charge in the service room (104) of the residence building. A second computer with printer is also provided free of charge to allow for word processing, preparing presentations and spreadsheets. All software on these computers is in English and licensed to Party A. JFLS will ensure that the computers are serviced in a timely fashion. Telephone and internet service can be installed in each room at the request of Party B. The monthly charge and any additional costs will be the responsibility of Party B.

Provide Party B, at no cost, breakfast, lunch, and dinner (Chinese and western style) per day in the staff dining room. If Party B chooses not to eat in the staff dining room, no allowance will be paid for meals consumed elsewhere.

Pay for Party B's accident insurance and medical insurance coverage for extended hospitalization in China during the period when Party B is working for Party A. If there is a need for Party B to seek medical attention, Party B should go to the hospitals that JFLS recommends. JFLS will pay for Party B’s medical expenses, for outpatient care, to a maximum 600 Yuan (RMB) per year, according to the receipts. Any amounts in excess of the maximum will be Party B’s responsibility.

Allow Party B’s children to attend JFLS schools. Party B’s children will receive a preferential low cost tuition of RMB 500 Yuan (RMB) per person each semester. All fees for books, uniforms and other essentials are to be paid by party B.

Provide Party B with the same holidays as those of the Chinese teachers.

Provide transportation between school campuses for the work days at certain places and certain times.

Pay party B a salary of ____ Yuan (RMB ), ______ on the 15th  and ____ on the 30th  each month., according to Party B’s educational level and teaching experience.

Provide Party B with an annual travel allowance of 3000 Yuan (RMB). The first 50% will be paid a week before October 1st and the second 50% will be paid a week before May 1st.
Provide Party B who has signed six-month contract with travel allowance 1500 Yuan (RMB).

13. Provide, at no cost, two weekly sessions of Chinese language lessons by excellent Chinese teachers, totaling 90 minutes. Sessions maybe divided into beginner and advanced levels to cater to the specific language needs of each foreign teacher.

14. Arrange a meeting with international staff once a month to conduct a performance review with Party B. Both JFLS and Party B agree to cooperate in solving teaching as well as any “personal” issues that might affect performance.

Party B will:
15. Obey the LAW OF THE PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF CHINA ON CONTROL OF THE ENTRY AND EXIT OF ALIENS and its IMPLEMENTING DETAILS as well as related regulations for aliens.      
According to article 13, article 20 and article 22 in the second part of the LAW OF THE PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF CHINA ON CONTROL OF THE ENTRY ANDEXIT OF ALIENS:
 ·Party B should exit by the validity date prescribed on the residence permit when his/her work contract is over and the contract shall not be extended anymore. The residence permit and other certificates will be collected or eliminated by the exit customs of China;
·If Party B wish to extend the work contract and the application has been accepted by Party A, Party A will be responsible for handling the concerned papers and help to prolong the residence permit, then he/she may exit and entry again;
· If Party B’s contract is over and he/she wishes to go to another city for work or study in China, he/she must get the permit from Party A first, and then by holding the concerned certificate issued by Party A can he/she be able to transfer the related registration papers from the local Public Security Organs to the city he/she will be living in.

16. Party B shall live in the residence provided by JFLS and abide by the regulations for alien residents.

17. Pay monthly telephone bills and individual Internet service fees on time.

18. Dine at the school cafeteria in accordance with the posted times for meals. If Party B will not dine there, inform the kitchen staff in advance to avoid wasting foodstuff.

19. Pay for the expenses incurred by the family members and approved guests living together with Party B at school. The rent for a one-bedroom apartment at the school is 60 Yuan (RMB) per day.  There is no charge if family members live in the same apartment with Party B. The cost for the meals in the staff dining room is 20 Yuan (RMB) per person for each day.
The family members that live with Party B may eat in the staff dining room and the rates for meals are?
·500 Yuan (RMB) for an adult per month;
·200 Yuan (RMB) for a primary student;
·240 Yuan (RMB) for a middle school student.

20. Inform Party A about past health problems. Be responsible for paying the costs of treatments for pre-existing health problems. (For example, Diabetes). If Party B has to return to their home country for treatment, he/she has to pay for his/her own travel expenses.

21. Agree to teach grades (from Grade1-Grade12) as assigned by JFLS and teach 20 periods per week, not including English activities and student tutoring. English activities and student tutoring shall be well prepared.  

22. Prepare a teaching schedule one week before school starts, according to the assigned teaching requirements and the level of the students.

23. Ensure that the lessons are in accordance with the curriculum of the School. Prepare written lesson plans for each period and submit them to the dean of Party A on 30th of each month.

24. Be responsible for organizing every classroom teaching period. Prepare necessary teaching-aids and teaching materials for the classroom practice and exercises. Adopt flexible and effective teaching approaches in classes and focus on improving the student’s English learning interests and the abilities in listening, speaking, reading and writing. Make every effort to ensure that 95% students’ English level is qualified to curriculum requests.

25. Physical punishment is not allowed. Any requirement to remove a student from the classroom must be discussed with the appropriate supervising staff of Party A.

26. Assign homework twice a week to primary school students and once a week to junior and senior school students. Check their homework as school requests and discuss the student’s performance with them before the next homework assignment.

27. Give oral and written tests at the end of each semester. File their marks assess and summarize individual student’s progress after the final exam.

28. Take part in the teachers’ research meetings once a week. Discuss teaching matters and communicate with non-native English teachers on a regular basis. Adopt feedback from students.

29. Participate in a 90-minute training session for Chinese teachers every two weeks with lectures to improve their English and other language abilities.

30. Organize or join the students in the foreign language “corner” and other after-class activities. These activities are conducted weekly and total 90 minutes per week. Attend the activities organized by school, the Foreign Affairs Office of  Shandong Province, Jinan City and the Municipal Government, etc.

31. Class time should be closely adhered to. If Party B is late for class more than five minutes (even by school bus) without informing the school office or school’s Chinese English teachers, he/she will be fined for 20 Yuan (RMB).

32. Any days off should be permitted by school. Inform school 24 hours before scheduled lessons when asking for a day off and 2 hours before class for sick time off. 35 Yuan (RMB) will be withheld from Party B’s salary for each absence from each class period.  

33. Agree not to discuss with the students any topics of a controversial nature, like religion.

34. Agree not to work at any other schools, language institutes or companies. If Party B does work in other institutes or companies, he / she will be fined 6000 Yuan (RMB) and must immediately stop the outside work. If Party B does not resign other positions, he/she will be forced to leave China.

The Contract Annex is to be effectives as from ______ to ______. Party A is bestowed the power to make the final interpretation. This Annex of the contract is to be prepared in two copies, Chinese and English, with identical wording in each language.  Each version of the contract is to have equal authority.  Party B will be given an English copy of this Annex.

Party A                                             Party B      
(Signature)                                          (Signature)

________________                                 __________________
Liu Shuyun                                        Party B’s full name in print
Principal of
Jinan Foreign Language school
Jinan Foreign Language school Sanjian Branch
Jinan Foreign Language school Kaiyuan International

Date____________                                 Date_______________

rockycoon

RE: Teaching in China
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 09:53:28 pm »
Thanks Rob, this is great.

Offline Brian Mc

• Zhen Li
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 01:42:46 am »
Greetings Brothers,

This seems to be a good place to put this info that I have found in my search for teaching positions in CHina.

First many but not all positions that I have seen listed on websites etc ask for a BA and sometimes a TESL certificate also.  Some positions do not list any Educational requirements, some ask for previous experience and some do not.

I personally do not have a University Degree but I do have a college diploma and journeyman level Meteorological Technician through the Canadian Military.

Now the information I have received from a couple of job contacts is that if you are trying to get work anywhere near the main cities like Beijing or Tianjin etc you MUST have a Bachelors Degree minimum in order to get the work permit which allows the work or Z visa.  Also If my info is correct it can also be done with a Diploma and a TESL certificate.

If you do not have a degree or TESL then you may have to take a position a lot further out from Beijing.  I have received a couple of offers one from Guiyang and one from Baile City.  Both cities are in southwest China toward the Viet border.

At this point I have not accepted either position but I am unsure if I will be able to get a work permit then Z visa.  I need to consult further with Zhen and she is out of town and out of contact for a couple more days.

So for anyone looking to go and teach keep this in mind.  I may of course be wrong and if anyone can say absolutely that you can get a teaching position without a degree or a TESL then please clear this up.  Once I have a chance to discuss with Zhen I will update this but it looks like it will be tough without the degree or TESL.

Regards,

Zhen and Brian

Offline markymark

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 05:56:17 am »
Brian.

Thanks for the post. I am trying to find a job in Chongqing city so I can be near my girlfriend and am in a similar situation to you that I too do not have a B.A. degree. All I have is a BTEC HND ( college diploma ) which may be similar to an associate degree but I am not certain of this. I do have a TEFL which I did in Bangkok and it is Thai ministry of education approved, also have nearly 5 years teaching experience in Thailand.
Apart from a lot of places requiring a B.A. degree I have noticed that some schools or institutions have set an age limit, the average is around 50 years old. The lowest was 40 y.o. and the oldest was 60 y.o. at somewhere like inner Mongolia if I recall correctly. I would also like clarification on this degree/ work visa issue.

Brian, what web sites have you used?
"You'll like this, not a lot" Paul Daniels

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 06:46:54 am »
Nothing in China is fixed in stone, a lot of the time it depends on the pull that the school has with the local authorities...

Have a read of:-

http://middlekingdomlife.com/guide/
http://www.chinese-forums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36

Strictly speaking to get the Z visa which allows you to apply for a working residency visa you need :-

1) A bachelors degree
2) Two years teaching experience
3) In Guangzhou from mid November you must pass ""Evaluation System for Foreign Language Expert" (this is likely to spread to many of the bigger cities in the future)
4) Be under 60 years of age, in some parts lower
5) Most places in the big cities will require you also to have some sort of teaching Certificate before they will sponsor your Z Visa application
6) The Z visa has to be issued outside the Chinese mainland (some schools seem to want you to return home get this , others can have it issued in Hong Kong and you just visit there foa day..others don't need the Hong Kong trip at all....)

Scary as all that looks, there is a massive shortage of Native speaking English teachers in China and most of not all these can be circumvented depending on the school. Read up on the links above and before signing any contract be very clear as to how the school is going to help you get your residency permit.
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline Brian Mc

• Zhen Li
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 01:32:53 pm »
Quote from: 'Irishman' pid='19805' dateline='1255344414'

Nothing in China is fixed in stone, a lot of the time it depends on the pull that the school has with the local authorities...

Have a read of:-

http://middlekingdomlife.com/guide/
http://www.chinese-forums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36

Strictly speaking to get the Z visa which allows you to apply for a working residency visa you need :-

1) A bachelors degree
2) Two years teaching experience
3) In Guangzhou from mid November you must pass ""Evaluation System for Foreign Language Expert" (this is likely to spread to many of the bigger cities in the future)
4) Be under 60 years of age, in some parts lower
5) Most places in the big cities will require you also to have some sort of teaching Certificate before they will sponsor your Z Visa application
6) The Z visa has to be issued outside the Chinese mainland (some schools seem to want you to return home get this , others can have it issued in Hong Kong and you just visit there foa day..others don't need the Hong Kong trip at all....)

Scary as all that looks, there is a massive shortage of Native speaking English teachers in China and most of not all these can be circumvented depending on the school. Read up on the links above and before signing any contract be very clear as to how the school is going to help you get your residency permit.

Greetings Brothers,

Irish, thanks for the great info and links.  I will check it out and see what I an come up with.  If things can be worked out I may get to work near Handan after all.  Thanks bud you gave me some hope, and this close to leaving hope is a good thing hehe.

Regards,

Zhen and Brian

Paul Todd

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 03:43:56 am »
"Nothing in China is fixed in stone" never a truer word was spoken Ronan:icon_biggrin:

It seems that everywhere I go in Baoding I'm getting offers of work. If I'm not careful I'm going to have to take one!  The latest was at the immigration dept yesterday. We just went there to drop of some paperwork for my visa when one of the officials said that he had some one who would like to speak to me. Now under normal circumstances I would have been worried about such a request but this is China so I've stooped trying to second guess what's going to happen next. Turns out the friend was a teacher at a local collage who wanted to know if I would come and work for his school.
He took Ming Zhi and myself out for lunch and then showed us around the school. 7000 students nice campus,indoor swimming pool the lot. Showed me "my office" and introduced me to the students. Said the rate of pay was 6000 yuan a month in return for 9 hours a week teaching,thats 6 x 1.5 hour lessons and no tax. School year is 9 months with one month paid holiday and a cash sum of 8000 yuan towards buying a flight home every year if that's what I wanted to spend it on. He also said a house was part of the deal, when I said I already have a very nice house he said well have two!!!. I told him I had very minimal teaching experience and no teaching certificates. I did say I was thinking about taking an online course, oh that's fine then, he said. Told me he would sort out my Z visa and give me my flight and hotel costs to go to Hong Kong to get it sorted out.
This school has a dedicated language department just for learning English and they have no native speakers there. They are desperate to get someone two work for them and no chance of getting a native speaker in! I asked him about this and he told me it was very very difficult to find teachers. I have no reason to think that Baoding is any different from any other provincial city so the work situation looks very promising .

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 04:53:53 am »
Paul no that's an idea for me...:icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:

Paul Todd

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 05:35:24 am »
Rob,

It can't just be me!  For this to keep on happening must mean there's lots and lots of jobs out there. As you can see I'm not the most qualified English teacher in China , well not actually qualified at all ,but that seems to make little difference. I do not see why your new home town should be any different from here. I really would not worry too much about setting yourself up. In fact I would caution against taking the first job you are offered, until you have worked out the situation on the ground and understand the options fully. No rush, remember you are the one who is in control here not them. Three main questions as I see it are, How much, how many hours, how many students and teachers per class. They will as a matter of course sort out your Z visa. Getting nervous Rob!!!:icon_cheesygrin: not long now!

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 05:44:36 am »
Bloody shitting myself.....hahahaha

But all is good mate, see my other thread :icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:

Offline JimB

• http://www.jandyenterprises.com
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 07:14:46 pm »
The other alternative is tutoring.  i have been told and read that the pay is very lucrative for the number of hours put in.  No certificate is needed, however no mention of the z visa was made although, my regular visa is good for 90 days at a  time and only need to leave for 24 hours to renew the 90 days.  The percs are not there though.  The last number of vacancies i saw was 14000 and that was just in the Beijing area.  In my thread  I posted the EX Pat website for job openings.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 07:17:58 pm by JimB »
Maxx's 24 hour rule, learn it, live it.

Offline Brian Mc

• Zhen Li
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 07:26:40 am »
Greetings Brothers,

Well I have made it to China and am now living in Handan, Hebei province.  With regards to the teaching stuff I have been offered a position here in Handan however they cannot get the Z visa so the job would be illegal.  The pay and benefits are a bit lower than average but since I dont have a BA or a Tesl its not surprising.  They certainly seem eage to get me to start work but for me if I get found out teaching illegally then get deported I cannot marry Zhen so I dont think I will take the risk.  They figure if the cops have an issue with me teaching they will just throw money at the cop until he goes away.  So again ifluence trumps laws.

My thought is if they can through money at the cops to get them to leave us alone why not through it  to get the Z visa and avoid a problem all together.

I also have a job offer in Wuhu, which pays better and has bonuses included and they will get the Zvisa.  I have a phone interview on Monday so I think if I pass that I will take the Wuhu position.  At least its legal so no issues from that department.

So far I have not been approached by anyone to offer me a teaching job or talk about one either so maybe Handan is a bit different or maybe I just havent been to the right places hehe.

The Wuhu position I received from a headhunting recruiting company and they know I dont havea BA or a TESl so I think this will work out.  This is the same company that sent me the Guiyang job offer also.

So anyway I have been in country a week now and everything is great except for the pollution which managed to give me an irritated throat and runny nose.  However Zhen went to the pharmacy and got me some cold type medicine and its coming under control quite quickly.  These chinese sure have some decent medications.  Also its nice to be here and know that I dont have to worry about a visit ending and leaving Zhen behind again. Of course dragging all my luggage from Beijing to Handan was a royal pain and made it tough to get a taxi as they didnt want to haul all the bags hehe.  My sister sent a ton of Avon over for Zhen and friends so I had to pay extra for too heavy bags at the airport coming here.  Still its worth it when you see the look on your lady's face when you dump that much Avon product in her lap.

Anyway back on topic I will keep everyone updated on any new developments as far as the teaching stuff goes.

Regards,

Zhen and Brian

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 07:44:41 am »
Brian , that is great news , I am sure everyone has their fingers crossed for you , yes there is always a better job around the corner it would seem , when you do marry you can then apply for residency status which may counter the z visa , but I am sure that you will check this out , if you have not already , friendly locals will put you on the right track , regards Ying and Robert .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

shaun

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 07:58:47 am »
Does anyone know what it takes to get a TESI in the US?  Where is a good place to look?

Shaun
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 07:59:16 am by shaun »

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 09:14:12 am »
Shaun , if you are serious , look up www.seek.com it is called a TEFL course , they also will ensure you get a correct job in China , not washing dishes haha , do not know the cost but it is about $us 1600 .00 except for a few hours all the rest out here is done online ,regards Ying and Robert .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info